4WD trip to Coorong, SA

South Australia Fishing Reports
Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

4WD trip to Coorong, SA

Post by Cuda » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi guys,
Was thinking of going down to Coorong part of the coast for a weekend or even 3-4 days during a week. Never driven on the beaches down there and I hear they can get pretty tricky and soft in spots. I have done some sand dune driving before, but always prefer to go along with another 1 or 2 4WDs. Does anyone, by any chance, plan on 4WD-ing down there this summer/early autumn?
Cheers

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Re: 4WD trip to Coorong, SA

Post by raco09 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:54 pm

Would of loved to join ya mate. Unfortunately work gets in the way of things. Bangg
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Fishn104

Post by Fishn104 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:12 pm

That would be good. I'm wanting to go around late march early April if there is a long weekend. 3-4 days would be good. I'll see what happens. Will let u know on a later date.
FISHING AWAKENS THE SOUL!!

Fishing Victoria Comp SPEC1516. Total: 326cm
FRESH:
Redfin 44cm. Yellow belly 39cm. Carp 81cm. Rainbow trout 33cm.

SALT: mullet 38cm. Trevally 43cm. KG Whiting 28cm. Squid 20cm.

Cuda

Post by Cuda » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:47 pm

That's great that someone is interested in going down there. It surely is a great fishery, judging by other peoples reports and stories.
I'm not sure when exactly I might be going myself, but I'm a bit more flexible I guess, as I work from home. Fishn104, if/when you decide to go let us know.
What time of year do people reckon is the best for down there? Looking to chase some Jewies, some big salmon on lighter gear for fun, hopefully some snapper etc..
CAn anyone think of any other good species you can come across off the surf down there?
Cheers

Kuerschie

Post by Kuerschie » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:04 pm

Gummy, school and sevengill sharks are other species you can target from the surf near the Murray Mouth at the end of Goolwa beach. I would suggest running 80lb mono leader for your rigs in the surf so you can still have a chance of getting Mullies as well as gummies, etc without using wire trace. Summer is one of the better months to spend a few days camping out on the beach. There's plenty of pipis that you can collect on Goolwa beach that you can use to catch fresh bait such as salmon trout and mullet. Knock the fillets of a fish and send it out with two or even three hooks ganged and sit and wait.

Also if you have the chance, they're getting quite a few school mulloway in the Coorong channel from Sugars beach, etc on soft plastics lures. Sizes range from 40-70cm and are great fun on light line. You just head into Goolwa and drive over to Hindmarsh Island. Take a light flickstick with some 5" jerkshads and cast and retrieve.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:33 pm

Cuda wrote:Hi guys,
Was thinking of going down to Coorong part of the coast for a weekend or even 3-4 days during a week. Never driven on the beaches down there and I hear they can get pretty tricky and soft in spots. I have done some sand dune driving before, but always prefer to go along with another 1 or 2 4WDs. Does anyone, by any chance, plan on 4WD-ing down there this summer/early autumn?
Cheers

im interested also...but I would need the dates in advance account ive got a nt trip in april

cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Fishn104

Post by Fishn104 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:18 pm

Apparently March-April is the best weather.

Cuda/ yeh will do definitely.
FISHING AWAKENS THE SOUL!!

Fishing Victoria Comp SPEC1516. Total: 326cm
FRESH:
Redfin 44cm. Yellow belly 39cm. Carp 81cm. Rainbow trout 33cm.

SALT: mullet 38cm. Trevally 43cm. KG Whiting 28cm. Squid 20cm.

Cuda

Post by Cuda » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:43 pm

kuerschie, thanks. that's some good advice. I was thinking more around Salt Creek area, but will see how we go for time.
You can camp anywhere along the surf beaches yeah?
I'll try to have the dates as much in advance as possible, but if anyone else decides to go before that, I'd love to hear from them and see if I can make it at the same time.
Cheers

Kuerschie

Post by Kuerschie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:31 pm

Places at Salt Creek, there are heaps of reknowned campsites. If and when you travel over, stop into the Roadhouse and ask for Adam:
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/sa/salt-c ... sting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
He'll give you all the current advice you'll need in regards to spots, tackle and tips. There's places like 42 mile, etc but best bet is to head as far north up the beaches as possible as these are less fished generally and find a nice looking gutter where no weed is present. Chances are that there'll be a few mulloway, sharks and rays to tangle with.

But worst thing about Salt Creek that can occur is the seaweed buildup. First day might be perfect but the next day you wake up and there is a tonne of seaweed along the beach, making it unfishable.
Good luck when you head over there, one of the best surf fishing spots for large Mulloway anywhere in Australia IMO, together with the Dog Fence/Yalata and WA beaches.

Cuda

Post by Cuda » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:08 pm

Thanks Kuerschie. Good advice, will keep it in mind.

Return to “South Australia”