Far SE South Aus

South Australia Fishing Reports
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Far SE South Aus

Post by Lightningx » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:45 am

DougieK wrote:^ there is no need to plant any seeds. In my opinion it's the perfect fishing platform for my lifestyle. Just 5k plus probably another 2k for all the bits and pieces is pretty much out of the question for a while.
Dam! That's how much those things cost? :o_0:

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:50 am

SFP Guy. wrote:
IMG_0287.JPG
Hi Dougie,

Sounds like Salt Creek is the place for you! Very isolated, 4X4 access only to the beach but having said that there is access to the beach about 20 minutes north of Kingston SE (Granites Rd) and a camping spot / Car Park right at the beach. This is accessible to any car.

The further north you go the better the fishing is though, hence most people cross in their 4X4's at 42 Mile Crossing (where I've crossed) or Tea Tree Crossing, which is a water crossing, last I heard there was about 6 inches of water in it!

In summer this place is HOT, VERY HOT and when it is hot during the day it can still get quite cold at night. There's no trees for shelter either so make sure the 4wd has an awning (ideal) or you have a decent size tent to seek shade. See my pics, I had tarps up and towels over the car windows.

Make sure you have a Fridge Freezer, two is ideal, one for food, the other bait if your going in hot weather, I won't be going back without one, my last trip I arrived on the Monday morning with shitloads of ice, solid and cubes and it was all gone by Thursday morning. A couple of 40 degree days didn't help!

It is a spectacular part of the country though and well worth the effort to get there and see for yourself. If you have any questions just fire away mate.
Those ocean jewies look spectacular!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:58 am

Lightningx wrote:
DougieK wrote:^ there is no need to plant any seeds. In my opinion it's the perfect fishing platform for my lifestyle. Just 5k plus probably another 2k for all the bits and pieces is pretty much out of the question for a while.

I'm talking about the trimaran with the mast and sail. I think I priced a new one at $5k ish, but by the time you've got a sounders, seats, rod holders, leashes, coolbag, etc. Then I'll need a couple of short rods cos I don't like the idea of waving around a 9'6'' salty on one of these.....easily 7 by the time i'm fishing.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:15 am

Lightningx wrote:
Yes, but you'd be mad to buy one new. You can find them + trailer for around $4000 with all the accessories, fish finder etc.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:39 pm

I was looking at the Pre-2015 and almost got one for $2000 but after doing extensive research found the older one's not as good for a number of reasons. The main one for me was how easily they submarined with a low wind and small chop, which now the new model is less likely to happen too. Ok so it does weigh 30 Kg more, but all up the performance etc is better.

Read Josh Holmes report here:
http://slhobie.com.au/info/articles/560 ... 015-review
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Post by JS270 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:00 pm

Dougie ,

The ASF members do regular trips down to Salt Creek camping and fishing over various weekends , I will send through some details to you so that you can touch base with the SA members directly to get some advise.

Regards

bigdan91

Post by bigdan91 » Wed May 18, 2016 6:52 pm

I came to the SA part of the forum to ask for advice fishing around robe and saw this thread.

Dougie I'm heading up to robe/beachport area over queens bday long weekend I don't have any room in my car but if you can borrow your girlfriends patrol you should come! I'll teach you 4wding you teach me fishing haha

mingle

Post by mingle » Wed May 18, 2016 7:55 pm

FishnMiss wrote:I was looking at the Pre-2015 and almost got one for $2000 but after doing extensive research found the older one's not as good for a number of reasons. The main one for me was how easily they submarined with a low wind and small chop, which now the new model is less likely to happen too. Ok so it does weigh 30 Kg more, but all up the performance etc is better.
Gotta step in and correct you there - the pre-2015 A.I. is a fine sailing and fishing machine...

The 'submarining' is only an issue in strong winds and even then it can be corrected to a large extent bu leaning into the wind and also reefing the sail.
The newer A.I. is more of a pure sailing boat, whereas the older model is a better all-rounder - it works far better than the newer model in kayak-mode and even single outrigger mode. Plus (as you mention) it's a fair bit lighter.

I've had a 2012 A.I. for about 4 years and had a look at the newer one, but the weight (as well as the astronomical cost) put me off.

If you're planning on serious sailing, then the newer model would be better, but if you're likely to use the A.I. without the sail, or in light winds (where the newer boat is arguable no quicker), then the older version is better.

The other thing to consider is that often (for me it's probably about 50% of my trips) the winds are either too light or no-existent and you have to pedal the thing. Trust me it's not much fund to have to push 70+kg of plastic the best part of 20kms! With the newer one you''d be close to having to pedal 100kgs! :-)

Cheers,

Mike.
Last edited by mingle on Wed May 18, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Wed May 18, 2016 8:04 pm

Now why would I want to reef the sail ??? :banana:
Check out Mav's video from this past weekend in his 2015 AI in 33kn winds. I know the drill with weight and pedalling :(
Check out Josh's report when he had the new model out.
For me personally I want to use it for both sailing and/or fishing so that's why I'd be heading that way, but you raise some interesting points :thumbsup:
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

mingle

Post by mingle » Wed May 18, 2016 8:06 pm

FishnMiss wrote:Now why would I want to reef the sail ??? :banana:
Check out Mav's video from this past weekend in his 2015 AI in 33kn winds. I know the drill with weight and pedalling :(
Check out Josh's report when he had the new model out.
For me personally I want to use it for both sailing and/or fishing so that's why I'd be heading that way, but you raise some interesting points :thumbsup:
Yeah, I read it before I checked out the boats in the flesh... He's a good salesman :-)

Return to “South Australia”