East Coast Tassie

Tasmania Fishing Reports
drewb

East Coast Tassie

Post by drewb » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:48 am

Hi Guys,

I'm heading to Hobart for a long weekend, driving up to Swansea for a few days.

Taking my 7ft 3 piece bream rod over and am keen for a bit of a fish, probably mostly with soft plastics, hardbody lures etc.

Any advice on good spots, what to target and what to target them with would be appreciated!

Cheers.

pilko

Re: East Coast Tassie

Post by pilko » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:23 am

Great coast along there. Heaps of options for a fish. Don't discount little back waters.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:41 pm

drewb wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm heading to Hobart for a long weekend, driving up to Swansea for a few days.

Taking my 7ft 3 piece bream rod over and am keen for a bit of a fish, probably mostly with soft plastics, hardbody lures etc.

Any advice on good spots, what to target and what to target them with would be appreciated!

Cheers.
Scamander River holds some very nice Bream on the East Coast too and there is good access to it as well, I don't fish there that often (I'm a trout fisher) just going by reports on a site that I'm on here in Tassie as there are quite a few bream fishers on this site. Check it out if you wish.. http://www.fishingboatingtasmania.com.a ... /index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You'll find on the home page they have a separate section eg.. tuna, bream, trout etc.
cheers and good luck
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:53 pm

The Derwent holds some monster fish. Wade out and throw hardbodys around the moored boats, along the rock lines etc. Daiwa Double Clutchs work great here. Also in with a good chance of some sea run Trout/Salmon. Just don't eat the oysters you come across......... The river is like the Yarra for pollutants.
Swan river is also good. Scamander the same like meppstas said. The only issue with these two is the landbased access sucks without lots of wading.
And lastly, Georges Bay/St Helens. Probably the best place in all of Tassie for flats fishing. 40cm+ Bream on the surface plus all manner of bycatch like Luddies, Flatties, Trevally etc. etc.

Essentially, every river from the Tamar, east and down to the bottom of the state holds decent to good numbers of Bream, and a genuine 50cm+ fish isn't out of the question if you put in the time and effort. Unlike the Trout and other species they just seem to be underfished down there. Unless you can hire a kayak or something, other than the Derwent and areas around St Helens you'll be doing it hard for access to properly fish the river/s. Although it's been about 4 years since I was down there so things might have changed in regards to access. Oh and buy a freshwater fishing license, understanding their system and where the cut offs for unlicensed fishing (Saltwater) are is bloody hard unless they've changed their whole licensing system

mcbain

Post by mcbain » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:30 pm

The prosser river in Orford can deliver as well. Lots of bream habitat! I have caught some nice flatties, bream, coutas and flounder over the years. I have seen a couple of sea run browns but i could never get them to take my lure... more recently my 11 yr niece got a 73cm flathead on her most holiday there in Jan

drewb

Post by drewb » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:32 am

Cheers guys, hopefully I'll have something good to report back next week!

drewb

Post by drewb » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:42 am

I ended up fishing the estuary of the Prosser River a couple of times. Only landed a small salmon and lost a good size flathead after he went on a big run then spat the plastic. Looked a great spot though, could see a couple of good size bream cruising around but weren't interested in anything I had to offer.
I also fished the Swan River and landed about half a dozen small bream and a mullet on prawns. Would've loved more time there it was a great spot. Crystal clear water and like an aquarium, under the little jetty we were fishing off were about a dozen small bream plus some leatherjackets and mullet. Too small to be worth targeting but great to see.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:57 am

drewb wrote:I ended up fishing the estuary of the Prosser River a couple of times. Only landed a small salmon and lost a good size flathead after he went on a big run then spat the plastic. Looked a great spot though, could see a couple of good size bream cruising around but weren't interested in anything I had to offer.
I also fished the Swan River and landed about half a dozen small bream and a mullet on prawns. Would've loved more time there it was a great spot. Crystal clear water and like an aquarium, under the little jetty we were fishing off were about a dozen small bream plus some leatherjackets and mullet. Too small to be worth targeting but great to see.
Glad you enjoyed your stay here drew, even though it was short you did get a taste of what Tassie is like. Try and make it longer next time mate, you won't regret it that's for sure.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Tasmania”