Finally Got Back To A River For A Spin Session

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Finally Got Back To A River For A Spin Session

Post by meppstas » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:48 pm

'' FINALLY GOT BACK TO A RIVER FOR A SPIN SESSION.'' 23-1-14

Well after a thirteen day lay off from working on the house I finally got back to have a spin session in a river today. I must admit I was having a tough time of it not being able to get to the river over that time too. So this afternoon I set off to the Meander River and fished a six hundred meter section of mainly fast water above the bridge. Being a bright sunny day I knew it would be the main area that would be holding a few fish today. When I arrived the sun was full on the river and there was very little shade at 3.30pm and it would stay like this here until around 5.00pm.
The river was much lower than my last trip here and it was running very clear as well, but still had good flow and plenty of fast water to flick and work the little copper Mepps Black Fury into. The first thirty meters didn't fair that well and it wasn't looking good at this stage, plus a Nor- Easterly had sprung up which didn't impress me either. Anyway I wasn't chucking the towel in this early and kept on working the fast water and it wasn't too much longer before I had my hook up. It was only a small (230gm) brown but I had broken the ice which was the most important thing to me. I continued on working the fast water for the next five hundred meters and fished up catching and releasing another six small browns and lost three others. So it wasn't a bad start after nearly two weeks of not being able to have a session.
I would have fished on further but noticed someone fishing a few hundred meters further upstream and so I decided to move to another area some five kilometres downstream. When I arrived there it was all nice and shaded which was great as I this was much better than full on sun and the wind had also gone. It was now 5.20pm and I thought I would fish two separate sections of river in this area which would take at least a couple of hours. The river here was much easier to wade as the river bottom was not covered in large rocks like the last area and it was much nicer in the shade too. Three casts later and I had my first fish on here and this was a solid little (310gm) brown. Twenty meters further and I had another brown (280gm) on the little copper Black Fury. Things were looking good and I'm thinking that this is going to be a better stretch of river than the last one that I had just fished. Well, it didn't turn out that good after all as I could only manage two more small browns over the next three hundred meters before I decided to move on to another spot around a kilometre further upstream.
This section was also well shaded and had a nice long run of medium flow with a small run of fast water at the top end. Well I worked this stretch of river right up to and including the fast water section at the top end and all I could manage was three hook ups but lost ever one of them. This is when I did decide to through in the towel and call it a day. It was now 7.10 pm and I had really had a fair day on the Meander River really, plus I was feeling sore (lower back) and so it was a good decision to stop now as there's another day tomorrow isn't there!! Eleven trout caught and released for the session I was happy with that and it all adds to the season's tally. I'm down on last season at the moment but still have a total of 215 trout so far this season and with another three months to go I should build it up a lot more yet hopefully.
Cheers
Adrian
Attachments
One of eleven small brown taken in fast water-1 (Medium).jpg
Brown trout water of the Meander River. (Medium).JPG
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

rixter

Re: Finally Got Back To A River For A Spin Session

Post by rixter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:19 pm

Nice read mate ;) as always / cheers. , good to get out again huh !

I'm in the 'yearly repairs' to my house atm also, taking away my precious fishing time, I can't wait to hit the water again myself !.

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:28 pm

Savour those spin sessions. Out of interest what is your biggest mepps caught trout in tassie?

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:49 pm

deathray wrote:Savour those spin sessions. Out of interest what is your biggest mepps caught trout in tassie?
A 5-1/4 pound Brown taken in the Mersey River on a #00 (1.5gm) Black Fury (Black blade) back in 2001, have caught several in the 3lb range as well.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:51 pm

rixter wrote:Nice read mate ;) as always / cheers. , good to get out again huh !

I'm in the 'yearly repairs' to my house atm also, taking away my precious fishing time, I can't wait to hit the water again myself !.

Cheers , Rick.
Thanks Rick, bloody great to get back on the water that's for sure mate.
cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”