Return Trip To The Meander Well Worth It.

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Return Trip To The Meander Well Worth It.

Post by meppstas » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:21 pm

'' RETURN TRIP TO THE MEANDER WELL WORTH IT.'' 21-12-13

Seeing that my trip to the Meander River yesterday was cut short due to the rain setting in I decided to head back there again this afternoon. The forecast was again for rain and a chance of thunderstorms as well, but the clouds were high and it didn't look like it was going to hit here for quite some time. The only thing I didn't like was that there was a light Nth Easterly breeze today and that's not the best wind to fish in most times.
Arrived at the Meander around 2.00pm and it was a much better day here than yesterday too as it was much brighter which meant I could take a few photos and also use the head cam. After a ten minute chat with the landowner I headed of and started working a fast water section and I reckon it was only the forth cast and I was onto a nice rainbow. Well this was good as it's how yesterday started off catching a fish very early in the session. So it looked like the light Nth Easterly which by the way had dropped to almost nothing, would not effect the fishing this afternoon. This solid rainbow once landed weighed close on 520gms and was in excellent condition.
I was keeping at least four fish today to give to a mate who lent me his Karcher and a 16ft ladder for my prepping of the house. That was the only fish that was taken in this first piece of fast water and so it was on to the next section.
The next section was a much longer one of around one hundred meters and looked like it could give up a few trout as it had some great looking holding areas in it. It did just that, but they were only small browns and only three of them from six hook ups as I lost the others. Still it was good to be hooking into a few fish and who knows what the next section was going to give up. The river ahead of me had a lot of shallow fast water runs on it and I knew it was going to be tough going working my way upstream against the flow and on a slippery and very rocky bottom.
Tough it was too, as I worked my way upstream working every bit of fast water that had a lot of trout lies in behind the large rocks that were stretched out along the river. After hooking and losing another two small browns I did also catch three more nice rainbows as well with the best one going 550 gms. I now had my four good keepers that I wanted and now it's back to catch and release again.
This rock fast water was really starting to slow me down the further I kept working my way against it, but what kept me going was the fact that I was still catching trout. Over the next 500 meters before I decided to give in to the river I did catch and release another eight rainbows and four browns as well as losing six other fish.
So the return trip to the Meander River well worth the trip in my books.
I'll tell you now though, the body is really feeling it now and I reckon it will be a big rest day tomorrow for sure. The little Mepps #00 Copper Black Fury did it's job once again and I have now retired this one and replace it with a brand new one.
On my 1.5 kilometre walk back to the ''Trout Stalker 2'' I came across a little Echidna and a bush with some unusual small flowers on it, just another bonus of the trip here today.
cheers
Adrian
Attachments
IMG_1869 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1871 (Medium).JPG
Echidna, Meander (Medium).JPG
IMG_1859 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1857 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1861 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1851 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1849 (Medium).JPG
Last edited by meppstas on Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Rod Bender

Re: Return Trip To The Meander Well Worth It.

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:24 am

:rocking_report:
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

ian_underthesea

Post by ian_underthesea » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:53 am

Beautiful! Great report and pictures. You have inspired me to go fresh water fishing today :-D

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:59 am

ian_underthesea wrote:Beautiful! Great report and pictures. You have inspired me to go fresh water fishing today :-D

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Well that's great, hope you get into a few too.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Murlz
Has liked: 60 times

Post by Murlz » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:52 pm

:rocking_report: awesome area to fish by the looks. Great pics and great lookin fish. :thumbsup:
Murlz
“I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.”

Return to “Tasmania”