Meander River Perfect Height For A Spin Session.

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Meander River Perfect Height For A Spin Session.

Post by meppstas » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:02 pm

'' MEANDER RIVER PERFECT HEIGHT FOR A SPIN SESSION.''
5-11-13
What great weather it was today and so I headed to the Meander River in the hope that it may have dropped in height from last weeks session when it was a little too high. Arrived at Barrett's Bridge to find that it was well under the log on the left hand side of the river and that was good to see as it was safe to wade this section today. The river was very clear and the bottom was a little on the slippery side plus there was a fair bit of green cotton like algae on the rocks. Still I didn't really care because it was at last good enough to get in here and have a spin session. Started off with the same little old spinner that I've used for the past couple of trips and it was too long before I had a hit but missed it. Over the next 400 meters it hit and miss and just one hook up which I lost also, not really going to plan so far. The fish that were about were only very small browns of around two years old, which was a good thing to see in one way as it meant that they have got past the cormorants so far. I fished on for another couple of hundred meters before deciding to head back to the car and go further up the Meander to another good stretch of water.
The river bottom here was worse than where I had just fished! I couldn't believe that it was in this state especially after all the flooding that we've experienced over the past few months. I decided to change to a #00 copper Black Fury to fish this one and a half kilometres to see if this will at least get one fish hooked and landed. Well after the first few casts I finally hooked and landed a small 220gm brown which was a relief as I was starting to think it was going to be a donut day. Kept on working my way upstream casting into every piece of water that I reckoned should be holding a fish. Well those areas were holding fish too, but I could only manage five hook ups and 14 hit and misses over the one and a half kilometres. The five hook ups were all lost too, and these were not big fish either, the best would have been close to 500gms or there abouts. A couple of the hit and misses during the days session were from browns that would have gone around a 700 gms. So even though I only caught the one small brown for the four hour session I still enjoyed my time on the Meander River today. I still had several hook ups and plenty hit and misses to make it an interesting trip. I think the problem was that I should have either been on the water at 5.00am or made it a late afternoon session and hit the water at 4.00pm instead of the 10.45am start that I had.
Attachments
Perfect river conditions, Meander River (below bridge).jpg
Perfect conditions
Fast water section of the Meander.JPG
Fast water
Clear waters, Meander River.JPG
Clear waters
Meander River, water below the log, ideal wading hieght..JPG
River perfect height
Last edited by meppstas on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Fishsniper

Re: Meander River Perfect Height For A Spin Session.

Post by Fishsniper » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:27 pm

I have fished the Meander river as well as the south Esk those photo's bring back some fond memories, it's a beautiful spot and lot's of fish. Have you fished Brushies laggon or Barkers creek?

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:42 pm

great read there !!

cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Fishsniper wrote:I have fished the Meander river as well as the south Esk those photo's bring back some fond memories, it's a beautiful spot and lot's of fish. Have you fished Brushies laggon or Barkers creek?
Fished Brushy's a couple of times a few years back, but only when the IFS has stocked it with Atlantic Salmon occasionally. Haven't tried Barkers Creek, I mainly fish the Meander, Mersey, Dasher and Minnow Rivers in the Central North of Tassie. These are all within a 45km distance from Sheffield. Will check out Barkers Creek on the map and may give it a spin session. Our rivers have been hit pretty hard by large flocks of Cormorants over the past few years and it has knocked the hell out of them fish wise, that's why it was good to see the small browns in the Meander today. Signs that it hopefully is starting to recover, though there a still a few Cormorants about.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Yeah, try Barkers creek near Cressy I think it is , it has a track that goes right along the river to the weir, it has some big browns in it.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Fishsniper wrote:Yeah, try Barkers creek near Cressy I think it is , it has a track that goes right along the river to the weir, it has some big browns in it.
Will do Thanks for that.
cheers
Adrian

rixter

Post by rixter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Great read , and some nice pictures too , that water looks awesome for trout. Sounds like you had a good fishing session anyway , even with the small ones and all the lost hook-ups. Just to get a day with great weather and good looking waters and suroundings is worth it in itself imo. Perfect wading waters, so open too that's a fly fishermans heaven ;) .

Thanks for the read and pictures , cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Return to “Tasmania”