Hits & Misses, Smash & Grabs Made For A Good Day.

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Hits & Misses, Smash & Grabs Made For A Good Day.

Post by meppstas » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:22 pm

'' HITS & MISSES, SMASH & GRABS MADE FOR A GOOD DAY.'' 31-10-13

Sick of sitting around and being ticked off with this wind I thought what the heck, I'm going to have a spin session in the upper Mersey River this afternoon. On my arrival at the Mersey around 1.40pm I noticed the wind wasn't too bad which was a blessing. Hit the river close on 1.50pm and started off with a #0 (2.5gm) Gold Black Fury and started working the shaded area on the opposite river bank. The far side was going to be the area that would be holding fish today as it was shaded along that side of the river and given the clear skies and water that was the way to go. The river was still very cold and was running reasonably fast in most sections, plus the river bottom was a slippery as an ice skating rink which was a little disappointing. Still with the felt soled boots it was a lot easier than the old waders with the rubber boots that's for sure.
Anyway, I didn't have a follow or a hit in the first section of river, but in the next small section of fast water I picked up a nice solid little 380gm rainbow which put up a good battle for its size and after a quick photo it was on its way. Well this was just the start I was hoping for as the season hasn't been to flash for me so far. Kept on slowly working my way upstream and continued to work the shaded area and had several nice browns follow the spinner but would take it. Time for a change of lure, so I tried every Mepps that I had in the tackle boxes and still no hits just follows. So I then tried CD1 Rapala's, Nor-Stream Insect spinners and even a small scorpion lure all to no avail! Still the browns just sat behind the lures without a sign of aggression. What's left in the tackle box now I thought, then I spotted my 40 year old small blade spinners in a compartment in the box, so I decided it was time to hit the water with one of these little fella's. I only have three of these little spinners left and I had painted the blades in a beige colour and painted small yellow dots on the blade. I used these lures in the rivers back in the days when I fished the Finnis, Light, Onkaparinga and several other rivers in South Australia with great success.
Well after the third cast with this little spinner I had a hook up but missed it, and it wasn't long before the same thing happened again with the same result. A quick sharpen of the size 12 trebles and away I went again and bang! It was fish on this time and there was a very nice solid brown on the lure. This trout was testing the 4 lb line out pretty well as it ran downstream with the fast flow and it was just a matter of playing it out long enough for it to finally tire and come to the net. Once in the net the small spinner fell from its mouth, so being patient and not trying to rush the fish to the net paid off as it normally does. This fish tipped the scales at 690gms and was in beautiful condition too. Now my spirits were high and I was full of confidence in that little old spinner, it was back into working the shaded areas once again. Over the next 300 meters of river I managed another 6 hits for one hooked fish that stayed on for around 20 seconds before throwing the spinner on its second leap from the river. I wasn't too happy about losing the fish, but I was very happy that I was a least having plenty of hits now.
The wind that was only a light breeze earlier had now picked up to around 20- 25 kms and was coming straight down the river making casting the light weight spinner really difficult now. But I stuck with the little fella and over the next kilometer of the Mersey I picked up two more nice browns and lost three others, plus having another 5 hit and misses as well. Those fish that did come at the spinner really came hard and fast at it too and with plenty of aggression. With the wind getting stronger it was really getting tough pushing my way upstream against the strong flow and battling with the slippery river bottom I decided it was time to call it a day. Besides it was now 5.20pm so I have been in the river for close on three and a half hours and I was starting to tighten up in the back as well. So in all it was a really good session on the Mersey River this afternoon and was well worth the drive and effort put in for sure. Now all I have to do is sit down and edit the headcam and put it onto a disc, that will be done some time tomorrow I reckon.
Cheers
Adrian
Attachments
IMG_1682.JPG
Tranquil water of the Mersey River
IMG_1687.JPG
Another brown bites the dust
IMG_1685.JPG
Mersey fast water
IMG_1698.JPG
The 40 year old spinner that did the job.
IMG_1683.JPG
Well conditioned brown
IMG_1679.JPG
Solid little rainbow
IMG_1681.JPG
Mersey River
Last edited by meppstas on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Ploh

Re: Hits & Misses, Smash & Grabs Made For A Good Day.

Post by Ploh » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:38 pm

Great report pal!
What I would do to live near a photogenic place like that - amazing scenery. Honestly, with that kind of environment to fish in, surely the fish are considered a bonus. Lucky man!

Great catches! Seems like I'll be boarding the next Spirit of Tasmania off Station Pier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:56 pm

Thanks Ploh, glad you enjoyed the report mate, and yes a great environment to live and fish in that's for sure.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:27 pm

:rocking_report:

nice report and pics..
Abuthen

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:10 am

dude forget the fish what an awsome place to live in.
the fish are a welcomed bonus though.
keep up these great reports mate
cheers

Return to “Tasmania”