River and Land Destruction

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

River and Land Destruction

Post by meppstas » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:17 pm

The following article was one that i wrote and had placed in our local paper here in Sheffield. At the end of it is the response sent in to the paper after it was published.

'' Destruction of land and river near Beaulah ''.

Here is something that has really made me angry, and it is the destruction of the large grassed area along side of the Minnow River near Beaulah, plus the destruction of river banks from Off Road vehicles such as bikes, Atv's & 4wd's. These Morons and that's what they are do not give a damn of the damage they cause, not to mention the bottles, cans, car parts and rubbish that they also leave behind.
This little river has struggled over the past few years from below average rainfalls to keep it in top condition and now it has to put up with this type of destruction. It's bad enough that these people have torn up the land they also drive into and along the river itself cutting up the river bed. They have also made at least three river crossings on the Minnow River which has now created a lot of erosion along the river banks. Seeing what I did today has really '' Ticked '' me off too. It's time the law took a visit to this area on the weekends as this is when they're normally there, though I have come across them during the week as well. Not that they can do any thing while they're on this private land ( Gunns plantations) but they can nab them when they go roaring up the main roads or tear across them on unregistered vehicles surely. I have seen 4 or 5 bikes and ATV'S on these back roads and all have been unregistered. One day I came across at least 10 bikes on the Paradise to Weegena road and they were all kids with the eldest being around 14 years and the youngest 9 years old. Most of the fire tracks that run through the hardwood plantations here would be impassible for a fire truck as they have been chopped up by all these off road vehicles and are mostly bog holes now. I don't what this area will be like in another twelve months or so if something is not done about this destruction of land and river here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QmNndE30TI&sns=em" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

rixter

Re: River and Land Destruction

Post by rixter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:30 pm

Gee , I just watched that video, what a mess around there ! .
I'm thankful we have plenty of 4wd tracks and so forth in the state park forests around my way, 99% of them away from the rivers (maybe a crossing here or there). But even some of these areas get closed off during the wet seasons, so the land can recover and doesn't end up like in that video ! .
I like 4wd driving too , but that was bulldozing and making a destructive mess imo .

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:08 pm

It has now been passed onto the Kentish Council and the proper Authorities, and I think several people in Sheffield know who owns those vehicles. So it's just wait and see what happens from now on I suppose. We have areas for all off roaders in various places around the state, but as always it's the odd few groups that want to do it their way isn't it. Showing no respect for such a beautiful enviroment.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Krisstiglic

Post by Krisstiglic » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:33 am

Four wheel driving should be banned and the worst thing about it is its the people who aren't in the wrong that get punished we see a lot of this on the murray around strathmerton makes it difficult to get in there with a tinnie when a hole heap of nobs have been in there ripping holes in the road the day before it really bugs me .

4x4fisho

Post by 4x4fisho » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Krisstiglic wrote:Four wheel driving should be banned .

A broad and stupid comment

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:01 pm

4x4fisho wrote:
Krisstiglic wrote:Four wheel driving should be banned .

A broad and stupid comment
x2

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:13 pm

No four wheel driving shouldn't be banned because of the odd few idiots that make the responsible 4WD owners look bad. I had four wheel drives my self up until two years ago when I decided to go fishing in comfort and most places I fish now I don't need one. When I did have a 4WD I didn't go stupid in it, I kept to the normal off road tracks to a river. If it was really cut up I would park the bus and walk in, I never decided to make my own tracks into a river area. It's just about having common sense and doing the right thing, plus it's not just 4wd's there are also the few off road bike & ATV user's who are also not giving a damn and they too make it bad for those who are doing the right thing. I don't know what the answer is to this problem really, just hope they wake up to themselves ASAP and realise how stupid they have been.
cheers
Adrian

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:57 pm

the answer to the problem is to have the police patrolling the areas that are being destroyed. if they catch a few of them and fine the hell out of them for destroying public property the people will think twice about how they are acting.

justonemorecast

Post by justonemorecast » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:20 pm

I suppose I am not opposed to people using 4 wheel drive vehicles to reach a destination but the mindless passtime of just ripping up the tracks and seeing how far we can go through this bog just for the fun of it leaves me numb.
Okay on private property any thing goes I suppose but just destroying public tracks is one of the most selfish acts I think.

Rob

Krisstiglic

Post by Krisstiglic » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:37 pm

All four wheel driving does is destroy tracks that most people who drive every day cars also use I know it's not every body but its quite a few of them all this does is wreck it for others who want to use the tracks ! The only people who don't oppose four wheel driving are the people who have or have had four wheel drives. If you want to go four wheel driving do it where the everyday person doesn't drive or on private property

Return to “Tasmania”