Took a dive & drowned another camera..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Took a dive & drowned another camera..

Post by meppstas » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:30 pm

Took a dive & drowned another camera.

With the weather being humid & very heavy cloud cover I thought a trip to the Mersey River may be well worth it. I love fishing in humid conditions as it always seems to get the fish up and running. I was in the river by 6:10 am and the water was like glass, not only that there were a few trout on the rise in several areas on the river. I decided I'd fish the fast water to start with before working my way up through a long slow flowing stretch of river. After that I would be back into the fast water runs again and that's where it will be my best chance of catching a few trout. The first stretch of fast water I fished didn't give a yelp, not a sign of a trout, the slow flowing water wasn't any better either. It hasn't given up all that many fish this season so I bypassed the majority of it, though I did have a couple of follows from medium size browns.
1 6.10 am Mersey River (Medium).JPG
6:10 am on the river..
2 cross over here to retrieve snagged lure. (Medium).JPG
Crossed the river here..
The slow flowing stretch was getting a little deep so I had to get out & do a bit of bush bashing to reach an area where I could get back in and wade again. As I bush bashed my way along the river bank I managed to get my foot hooked up on a tree branch in the deep grass etc, that sent me sideways and straight into the river. Thankfully it was waist deep but still deep enough to saturated me and get enough water inside the waders to wet me all the way to my feet. The wader belt did stop the water getting though to my pants etc, my Canon camera which was my main concern. I quickly grabbed the camera and shook the hell out of it to get rid of as much water as possible. I had nothing to dry it with because I was wet from head to toe so all I could do was shake it and blow on it. I hit the on button and it turned on, then I hit the photo button and it worked before it shut down on me. It was then I thought my little $330 Canon cameras days were over and done with.
4 Had a couple of follows here. (Medium).JPG
Long, wide & deep water..
6 More bush bashing ahead of me. (Medium).JPG
Bush bashed along here.
7 Fell in ten meters upstream of here. (Medium).JPG
Ten meters on from here is where I fell in..
8 Photo taken from a drwoned camera. (Medium).JPG
Photo taken with a drowned camera..
With my spin session now done & dusted it was a mad thirty minute dash back to the car and once there I put the camera on the dash and put the heater on and the fan on high in the hope that would dry it. I didn't even get out of my waders, just jumped in and headed for home which was around fifteen minutes away. Once home I had a quick change of clothes, grabbed Pam's hair dryer and gave the camera a few minutes of warm air. It, did the trick, the camera worked, apart from a couple of small water spots on the inside of the lens. I took a couple of photos of my lures & lures boxes drying out as well as a short video report and all was good with it.. One thing I do remember clearly is when I got out of the river I just cracked up laughing at what had just happened.. Even as I wrote this report I'm still chuckling over what happened this morning. I've since tried the camera several times again only to find it has gone backwards as isn't working at all.. It is knackered, totally stuffed so a new one is now required and once I get the new one it will be placed in a waterproof camera bag...
** The two photos below were taken with the camera after I dried it, not long after this is when it tossed in the towel..
9 Drying out the lures & lure boxes. (Medium).JPG
Drying the tackle
9 Drying out the lures. (Medium).JPG
Drying the tackle..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Re: Took a dive & drowned another camera..

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:47 pm

Aww bugger, that camera did a good job though, nice photos there. Usually I put electronic stuff in a ziplock bag, a cheap way to waterproof them.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:54 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:47 pm
Aww bugger, that camera did a good job though, nice photos there. Usually I put electronic stuff in a ziplock bag, a cheap way to waterproof them.
I have a waterproof bag for the camera, but to slack to use it half the time.. have already got the new one (same model)
My replacement camera. (Medium).JPG
Replacement camera..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 pm

Great report and pics as always mate.
Sorry to hear about the camera!

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:24 am

Lightningx wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 pm
Great report and pics as always mate.
Sorry to hear about the camera!
Thanks LX, I always seem to learn the hard way as this is the third camera I've drowned.. Lucky though as one of them that's been dunked a couple of times is now my spare backup Canon SX150IS camera and it still works perfectly.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:45 am

Try putting the camera in a bowl of uncooked rice for a few days the rice will draw the water out. Can’t guarantee it will work but has worked on mobile phones in the past.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:10 pm

"Ode to a Camera"

With the weather being humid, and a cloudy day.
The Trout Stalker was up, and on his way.
Off to the Mersey, to catch some trout.
Unfortunately for him, there were none about.
So off on a trek, to see if they can be found.
He started to bush bash, and covered some ground.
But in the tall grass, his foot did slip.
On a silly old tree branch, to cause him to trip.
Well with a rolly polly, and into the drink.
Up to his waist, Adrian did sink.
A quick grab of the camera, so it could be saved.
He shook the hell out of it, as it was waved.
The spin session now, was done and dusted.
So back to the car, all soaked and flustered.
Now back at home, Adrian had quickly changed.
A blast from Pam’s hairdryer, for the camera was arranged.
It worked for a while, but that was about it.
As the Cannon Camera, had kicked the bucket.
Although the Trout Stalker, got a dip to his buckle.
We are all glad he is safe, and that he even had a chuckle.

Glad you are safe Adrian, your Trout Stalking reports are always truly an adventure. Sorry to say , , , , I had a chuckle too, only once I got to the part in the report where you had a chuckle, as I saw the humour in it as you did. Unfortunately, I am a slow reader and got to that point quite nervously thinking the worse , , , , glad that the worse was only the camera.

rip camera.PNG

Cheers, Bill
Last edited by Bugatti on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:41 pm

Nice :thumbsup: :a_goodjob:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Nude up wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:45 am
Try putting the camera in a bowl of uncooked rice for a few days the rice will draw the water out. Can’t guarantee it will work but has worked on mobile phones in the past.
It's gone with the rubbish a couple of weeks ago, actually had a bloke in the camera shop check it out only to find the main works (lens motor etc) inside of the camera was stuffed, could be replaced but was cheaper to buy a new camera. Got the same one for $210 & was happy with that. I tried the rice before on the first camera I drowned, it didn't work on it. I'll be trying my best not to drown the new one.. :-D :-D

cheers
Adrian

Thanks Mr B, love your work my friend.. :thumbsup:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:12 pm

you need a panasonic lumix series camera, they are waterproof, so no more problems with unexpected swims.

Return to “Tasmania”