Trout still very moody...(full report plus video)

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Trout still very moody...(full report plus video)

Post by meppstas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:47 am

Trout still very moody..

Another day that is forecast for fine weather with a E/NE winds that will pick up as the day goes on so I had a slightly earlier start on the river today. It was 9:25 am when I first stepped into the Mersey River to wet a Mepps spinner and maybe, just maybe get into a few trout. The conditions were perfect as was the river level, though it wasn't as clear as what I thought it would have been. Still good enough to fish, see the lure & even fish in it and that's all that mattered. This trip I started off using a Mepps #1 Aglia TW Streamer gold blade lure just for something different, hopefully it will be the lure that will do the job today in picking up a few trout. I have used it here before and caught a small brown on it, that day the fishing was very tough going so I had to make a change of lure. Today I started out using it in a head water where a back water entered the river & never had a single touch or follow from a fish. From there I moved into a large back water and fished my way upstream for close on fifty meters, all I could manage was a few follows from non aggressive trout.
2 Mepps Aglia TW Streamer.  (Medium).JPG
Started off using the Aglia TW Streamer..
1 Still plenty of water coming down the Mersey..(Medium).JPG
Still good flow coming down the river..
It was time for a change of lure, it was back to the Aglia Furia a coloured spinner that picked up a few fish on several trips now. I continued fishing the rest of the back water and had a bit of fun trying to entice a nice size rainbow trout into taking the spinner. The rainbow was holding out in a deep hole where the main river flowed into the back water. I tried everything to get it to take the lure but it just wouldn't grab it, though it did go close a couple of times as it charged at the lure before turning away at the last moment. This went on for several minutes before the fish & myself gave up on it with the end result being was a 0-0 draw.
5 The TW Streamer manged a few follows in this back water.(Medium).JPG
The long back water..
There was still a very narrow shallow stretch of back water ahead of me that was well protected & one most fisho's would bypass. I never like to bypass any water of this type because it can hold some nice fish. It was a little difficult to get to, but once the worst was over it wasn't all that bad as it was pretty open along one side. The first cast to the top end of a long stretch of it saw a bow wave appear behind the Furia spinner, that's as far as it went. There was actually two trout that had followed the spinner and they were only half interested in it, no signs of aggression from this pair either. A little further on as I neared the end of this backwater I had another follow from a decent size brown, it like the other two only showed the slightest bit of interest before it darted off.
7 A long narrow back water, there were trout here too..(Medium).JPG
Narrow & shallower back water..

I was now back into the main river and started working my way up a very wide slow flowing stretch of water. It's one I often bypass from time to time as I've never had a lot of success fishing it, but after seeing a few trout rise here and there I thought it was worth giving the Aglia Furia a good workout. I positioned myself about a third of the way out from the left side of the river bank where the water was between my knees and waist in depth. By doing that I could reach the deeper water near the right hand river bank with the 3.5 gram Aglia Furia. Not really expecting to catch a trout here I was having plenty of follows from some decent fish, still no takers though. Then out of the blue after a long cast where the spinner lobbed within a foot of the river bank and a few turns of the reel handle the Furia was taken by a solid fish.
8 First of the session.. (Medium).JPG
Finally a hook up..
8 One lovely wild brown trout.. (Medium).JPG
First of the day, a well conditioned brown
At first I thought it had to be a rainbow because the browns weren't taking any thing today. This fish pulled hard and stayed deep before it made it's first leap from the river, that's when I saw it was a brown trout. It was still at least twenty five meters away, I'm praying it will stay hooked until I can get in in close enough to slip the net under it. I lost count of the times it leaped from the river at the same time giving several solid head shakes trying to toss the spinner. Finally it tired enough for me to get it close enough and into the landing net.
It had taken close on and hour & forty minutes to catch my first trout of the day and in a stretch of water where I least expected to catch one. It took another thirty minutes when I was onto another solid brown, this one was also taken from just off the river bank as well and it was a bigger fish. Another one that did everything it could to toss the spinner, no sooner had I slipped the net under it the Aglia Furia popped out of it's mouth..This fish went 540 grams and was soon released after a quick photo.
10 Best trout of the day. (Medium).JPG
Second solid trout & the best of the session
10 The best trout of the day picked up from close in to river bank. (Medium).JPG
The best trout of the session was picked up in close to the river bank..

After that it went back to how it was before, follow after follow with not a single hit so I changed to a small gold/black hard body lure to see if that would get a strike. Ten minutes later it was taken by a small 280 gram brown that I didn't even bother to photograph. I went back to the Aglia Furia again as I started fishing a fast water run, it was here I hooked into my forth trout of the session. It didn't stay on all that long either, one leap from the river it tossed the spinner. I was worried about it staying on too because it was taken on direct cast straight up the river. It's always a risky cast because when retrieving the lure directly downstream then as the trout hits the lure it immediately turns left or right, nine times out of ten it's always lipped and the fish is lost. That was the last hit I had, from there on it was like before, follow after follow.. The wind had also picked up from the East so I gave up on catching any more trout and called it a day at 1:15 pm.
12 Long scenic walk back to the car.. (Medium).JPG
And now for the long walk back to the car..
** Here's the YouTube video for those of you who would like to view it.. feel free to hit the like, share or even subscribe if you wish to do so..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR-3Iruw ... ture=share

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Trout still very moody...(full report plus video)

Post by Lightningx » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Great report and pics mate. Do you sharpen those trebles like that every session?
Really enjoying watching the vids lately! Keep them coming.
Cheers :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks LX..
Yes, after every second or third trout that's been caught.. Even when fishing the small shallow streams/creeks I touch them up every so often
as the spinner will of bottom bounce or hit a rock on the retrieve and that's enough to take the sharpness of the trebles.. I think the camera is much easier way for me, at least I know when I've turned it off.. :-D

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:48 pm

I think you need to try the doulble jointed tiny rapapla Adrian

water looks ideal for it.

good to see your out having a crack still

cheers bm

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:31 pm

barra mick wrote:I think you need to try the doulble jointed tiny rapapla Adrian

water looks ideal for it.

good to see your out having a crack still

cheers bm
I've tried every spinner and hard body lure on them lately BM even the brown trout jointed ones that you gave me, same results they're just not into anything at the moment.. have had talks with a couple of trout guides, all are having the same problems and like me, having the worst start to the trout season for a very long time.. Cormorants are a major problem again here in the rivers.. :(

cheers
Adrian

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:49 pm

Good to see you getting a few Adrian. You'll be racking them up in no time!

Anth

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:34 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:Good to see you getting a few Adrian. You'll be racking them up in no time!

Anth
I'll need to as I'm so far behind at the same time this season compared to last season Anth,
with just 76 trout caught at this stage, last season it was 176.. :down:

cheers
Adrian

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:51 pm

meppstas wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:Good to see you getting a few Adrian. You'll be racking them up in no time!

Anth
I'll need to as I'm so far behind at the same time this season compared to last season Anth,
with just 76 trout caught at this stage, last season it was 176.. :down:

cheers
Adrian
Doing better than my 2 for 2 sessions! You know it might be a good thing Adrian. When it gets tough, it brings out the true fishermen and makes you put all those little 1%ers together

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Well let's hope you're right Anth, going to hit the river around 6:00 am in the morning, hopefully will beat the Cormorants to them this trip.. :-D :-D

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”