Short session yields a few small trout...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Short session yields a few small trout...

Post by meppstas » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:06 pm

Seeing it's been a week since my last trip to a river due to crappy weather & high river levels. Today is much better with mainly clear blue skies and a West/Nth Westerly breeze blowing so it was good enough to go & wet a Mepps spinner... I went & checked out a small river near home only to find that there had been cattle in the river. Walked along it for around a kilometer without spotting a single trout, headed back to the car and tried another river. This time I picked a larger river, it was still running a little high and for some reason or another it wasn't all that clear either.. Any way I fished it where it was safe enough to wade and used a Mepps #1 Aglia Furia and picked up three browns & one rainbow from just five hook ups.. Nothing to rave on about, the rainbow was the best fish at 340 grams.. All fish were released for another day & hopefully grow much bigger. With the air & water temps on the rise the trout fishing should start to fire up very soon..

cheers
Adrian (meppstas)

**PS: hoping to have a session in a river with Basti tomorrow before he & his girl friend head back to Victoria..
IMG_6808 (Medium).JPG
No signs of trout in the small stream near home..
IMG_6807 (Medium).JPG
Just one of at least 100 cattle that's been in the stream..
IMG_6812 (Medium).JPG
Still plenty of water flowing..
IMG_6814 (Medium).JPG
Mepps Aglia Furia did the job today..
IMG_6821 (Medium).JPG
Small brown..
IMG_6818 (Medium).JPG
Another greedy little fella..
IMG_6822 (Medium).JPG
Still a nice day to be in a river..
Last edited by meppstas on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Short session yields a few small trout...

Post by Lightningx » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:21 pm

Nice report Adrian and great pics as always!
Cheers :thumbsup:

otway

Post by otway » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Hi, love the look of them mepps spinners, do you think they work better than celtas and mapsos or vibrax? Ive been using mapsos since i got into fishing as a hobby actually in tassie on the st patricks river a while ago when travelling. Am thinking i will get a few of the mepps they just look great.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:19 pm

otway wrote:Hi, love the look of them mepps spinners, do you think they work better than celtas and mapsos or vibrax? Ive been using mapsos since i got into fishing as a hobby actually in tassie on the st patricks river a while ago when travelling. Am thinking i will get a few of the mepps they just look great.
I was thinking the same thing they have great colors those spinners. Nice report and fish Adrian :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:51 pm

Good report
Great pics

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:48 pm

otway wrote:Hi, love the look of them mepps spinners, do you think they work better than celtas and mapsos or vibrax? Ive been using mapsos since i got into fishing as a hobby actually in tassie on the st patricks river a while ago when travelling. Am thinking i will get a few of the mepps they just look great.
Thanks guys, hopefully my next trip will yield a few bigger trout too..

Way better than Celtas & mapsos spinners, Mepps are still made & assembled by hand in France the original home of Mepps lures. Also in the USA at Wisconsin... Vibrax are pretty good, but I've been using the Mepps with plenty of success for 54 years now.. They're available at BCF now, I saw them in the Devonport store here in Tassie a few weeks ago, so I'd reckon they're readily available in Victorian BCF stores too..

cheers
Adrian
MEPPS  SPINNERS (Medium).jpg
My variety of Mepps spinners I use in the rivers..
IMG_3556 (Small).JPG
The new Aglia-e spinners..
Beautiful wild brown trout, Mersey River, Merseylea.. 25-8-17 (Medium).JPG
Aglia-e works a treat..
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Tasmania”