Spin session cut short in the creek...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Spin session cut short in the creek...

Post by meppstas » Thu May 10, 2018 5:52 pm

I'll be putting a few catchup reports on the site over the next couple of weeks, these are some that I held back due to having those two last trips of the season when I caught my PB browns in the Leven River... Those reports I couldn't hold back.. :-D Sorry for the lack of photos, but it was a short spin session...

*** Spin session cut short in the creek..

Headed over to Western Creek for a bit of a spin session this morning in nice fishing conditions, as it has been over the past few days. When I arrived I found the water level was very low and the fishing wasn't going to be all that easy. Any way I hopped in and started flicking a little Greedy Guts lure around without any success to start with until I noticed a small circle appear on the water just ahead of me. I quick cast some five meters ahead of where I had seen the fish sip an insect off the surface, with a slow retrieve I was soon onto a fish. It finished up being a nice medium 360 gram brown, like the fish I caught here on my last trip it was also in good condition. Three casts later I had a smaller brown take the lure and I soon had that fish in the net, that one went 310 grams. I slowly and quietly worked my way up this shallow stretch of water trying not to spook any trout that may be further upstream.
The  Creek.. 6164 (Medium).JPG
Where I started the session..
The Creek.. 6127 (Medium).JPG
First brown taken here..
Creek brown..6126 (Medium).JPG
One of a couple caught & released..
The Creek 6165 (Medium).JPG
Very soft under foot here..

Ahead of me was a deeper piece of water near slight bend in the creek, on the first casts and retrieve I had a good size brown appear from now where and come at the lure at a very fast rate, it had two cracks at the lure and missed taking the lure proper. As quick as it came at the lure it's disappearance was even quicker as it darted off. The small deep water stretch ahead of me was too deep for me to get through which meant I had to get out and go around it. As I got myself out of the water I slipped on the clay river bank which made me twist to the right to grab hold of a small shrub to save myself from having a hard fall. Grabbing hold of the shrub did save me from the fall but when I twisted around I aggravated my left hip and my spin session was done & dusted, I new then and there it was over. I did think about pushing on but thought twice about it and slowly made my way back to the car. I doubt I would have caught all the many trout here today with the water level being so low, there's always another day and with some good rain forecast over the next few days the water level will be on the up..
The Creek.. 6166 (Medium).JPG
Was nice and warm once in the sun..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Spin session cut short in the creek...

Post by Lightningx » Thu May 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Nice report and pics as always mate.
Hope the left hips alright? Sounds like you were lucky you didn’t hurt yourself more.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu May 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks Lx, it lasted out the season which was good, now have to get right for the next season.. The bone in and around the left hip area is much thinner than it should be so have to watch I don't fall to often.. The doctor said it could break quite easily.. All good for now any way.. Bugger getting old that's for sure..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri May 11, 2018 12:56 pm

meppstas wrote:Thanks Lx, it lasted out the season which was good, now have to get right for the next season.. The bone in and around the left hip area is much thinner than it should be so have to watch I don't fall to often.. The doctor said it could break quite easily.. All good for now any way.. Bugger getting old that's for sure..
cheers
Adrian
You look after yourself Adrian
I hope your carrying that epirb Mary (?) got you, unfortunately one day you may need it
Let's hope not
Cheers Gra

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Fri May 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Thanks Gra, I have it attached to my waders belt so it always in the river with me at all times..
best gift Pam has ever bought me actually.. Hopefully I'll never have to use it, but hey, it's there if I do mate.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri May 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Mary/Pam pretty close, not.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Fri May 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Texas wrote:Mary/Pam pretty close, not.
:rofl: :rofl: you had the a & m there Gra.. scored a couple of points.. ;-)

Return to “Tasmania”