My PB trout (2.45kg) for this river..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

My PB trout (2.45kg) for this river..

Post by meppstas » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:37 pm

** This was from a few days ago... 27th April..

Hit the Leven River again this morning and had a great start to the spin session.. On my last trip here I had a follow and a few hits from one very nice large & solid brown. I was a little worried that day as I thought had he taken it and rolled or gave a leap or two from the river I would see the fine 4 lb mono giving way. It's not so much as the line breaking, the weak point is always at the knot. Today I went back to the same area and had a 6 lb leader set up to the little GagaGoon hard body lure. It wasn't all that long when that large brown came out from a shallow flat water (a little further upstream from last time here) and had three goes at the lure and missed it every time. I watched the big bugger move off and went in behind a large rock in the river. I could see him at all after that but decided to cast the lure behind the rock and slowly retrieve the lure up past where I felt it was lying. As the lure passed the rock I saw the fish appear and it slowly moved in on the lure, it was then I stopped my retrieve and let the suspending lure drift a little before slowly moving it forward.. That's when the brown took it and all hell let loose, it was off in one big rush and took off downstream taking plenty of line with it. Now I'm out there in the middle of the river wondering if I'm going to land this beautiful brown. I just kept enough pressure on it and slowly edged my was to the shallow & more open side of the river. It took around five minutes before I finally had it in close enough to slip the net under it.
A long cast here drew the 2.45kg trout off the opposite river bank... (Medium).JPG
A long cast to the river bank was required here..
My first PB Leven River brown. 2.45kgs. (Medium).JPG
One beautiful fish for sure..
IMG_6257 (Medium).JPG
The little lure did the job..
IMG_6262 (Medium).JPG
This is where I last saw the fish disappear so I was hoping he was here some where..
IMG_6260 (Medium).JPG
The little GagaGoon lure, rear trebles a little worse for wear..
My only problem now was that I only had my small shallow net with me and this fish will not fit in it.. Any way I slipped the net under it and it did stay in the net for a few seconds before playing up and jumping out & back into the river where it took off once more. It wasn't all that long before it eventually tired and I had it on the rocky river bank.. A couple of quick photos of this beauty, then I laid it in the net and weighed it then made sure it was okay before watching it slowly swim off.. It was my best trout taken in a river for the season & my PB for this river.. It went 2.45 kgs (5lb 6ozs) after deducting the weight of the landing net,, I went on to catch and release another eight well conditioned browns from ten hook ups.. It was another good spin session which took my seasons tally to 643...of which only four or five have been kept..
IMG_6276 (Medium).JPG
Nice fast water stretch..
IMG_6267 (Medium).JPG
Another brown falls to the GagaGoon lure..
IMG_6283 (Medium).JPG
And another, the last of nine for the session..
IMG_6286 (Medium).JPG
Beautiful conditions on the river..
cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Wed May 02, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

M9085

Re: My PB trout (2.45kg) for this river..

Post by M9085 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:55 pm

Congratulations, well done!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:05 pm

Congratulations well done.
Impressive

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:46 pm

cracking fish the lure was prefect he was going to eat his little mate

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:01 pm

Congratulations with the Pb mate!
Awesome fish!
Great report and pics as always :thumbsup:

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:02 pm

Congratulations Adrian - after more than 600 mainly 400 - 500 gram fish it must have been a real buzz catching and releasing a magnificent wild river trout of that size.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Awesome mate well done :cheers:

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Congratulations Adrian! Nice fish

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:36 pm

Well done Adrian!

In any stream in Australia in this day and age any trout over 2 kg is a big fish.
Gee, a few members have been getting PBs recently. This site must bring good luck!

Best Wishes

Truedogz

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Thanks for the good wished guys, yes it was a fish I wasn't expecting on the day.. to catch a PB for this river with just two days of the season left was a great feeling I tell you.. I had four other reports to go on the site before this trip, they had to wait as I just had to let you all have a read of this top day in the river.. I did have a couple of hours back in the same river on closing day in a different area .. a very interesting report it is too, one I'll put on the site in a couple of days time.. I've actually just finished writing it up.. don't miss having a read of it when I put it on site... :victory:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Tasmania”