Barra Mick meets up with Meppstas in Tassie..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Barra Mick meets up with Meppstas in Tassie..

Post by meppstas » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:47 pm

Good few hours on the Meander with Barra Mick & Jo.. 7-3-18

Well, BM (Tim) & his partner Joanne arrived safely on Tuesday morning after sailing over on the Spirit of Tasmania, they called in around 12.30 pm that afternoon. We were organising where to go the following morning and I suggested the Meander River would be best suited for the two of them. With Joanne having her first real spin session in a river I knew a stretch of river that wouldn't be too difficult wading for the first time. The next morning was very calm and also pretty foggy, the conditions were perfect for river fishing once again. The rivers was at least four inches higher than my last trip here which wasn't going to be a problem any way. It just meant that Joanne would have to bypass a couple of the fast water runs that's all.
Meander River.. 5826 (Medium).JPG
Foggy start to the session..
As we slowly worked our way upstream there wasn't too many signs of trout to start with until I finally had one come from nowhere and have a whack at the ghost brown hard body just as I went to lift it from the river. Tim was having a follow every now and then but no takers, I also had a few follows and light hit & misses while Joanne was still trying her best to catch a trout. It wasn't until we were around 500 meters upstream when I finally had my first brown take the lure. That fish was hard up against the river bank in a small flat water and it took the lure as soon as it hit the water. It had taken close on an hour and a half before the first trout was caught and landed, it was a nice 450 gram brown. That was the last fish for another thirty five minutes when I caught another well conditioned 400 gram brown in the fast water. Tim and Joanne were still working hard in trying to draw a trout to their lures but it just wasn't happening at this stage. I was hoping it wouldn't be too long before they picked up a trout or two.
Meander River.. 5827 (Medium).JPG
Joanne slowly working her way upstream..
Meander River.. 5828 (Medium).JPG
Tim spin fishing for trout..
Meander River.. 5833 (Medium).JPG
First of the day..
Meander River.. 5831 (Medium).JPG
First trout taken here..
Meander River.. 5834 (Medium).JPG
And the second brown..
We were now fishing in full sun and I continued to fish a narrow fast water run and picked up another two nice browns in quick time. Tim was twenty meters ahead of me and he said he had caught and released a couple of small browns too which was good to hear. Joanne although she hadn't caught a trout in this river yet was still enjoying the experience of trout fishing in this river. Ahead of us was a wide, deep slow flowing stretch of river and we could see several trout on the rise. Knowing that they were surface feeding we bypassed it and entered the river a little further up and fished on for another seven hundred meters where I caught and released another two medium size browns from four hook ups.
Meander River.. 5838 (Medium).JPG
Tim & Jo in the Meander River..
Meander River.. 5836 (Medium).JPG
Another brown in the net..
Meander River.. 5839 (Medium).JPG
My last trout for the session..
Tim tried several different lures and finally went with a grasshopper under a bubble float. He did have a couple of light touches on it, but not one of them snapped up the hopper. It was just on 12:30 pm when we decided to call it a day and have a leisurely 1.5 kilometer walk back to the car.. Even though the trout were on the finicky side today we still enjoyed our time together on the river. The good thing was Tim did manage a couple of trout and Joanne got to see what it's like to fish in a river for trout in Tasmania and she loved it.
Both of them did have a short spin session from the river bank in a small river not far out of Sheffield yesterday afternoon, Tim caught four small browns and Joanne picked up a couple as well..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Barra Mick meets up with Meppstas in Tassie..

Post by Lightningx » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:05 pm

Nice report as always. Sounds like they both had a great time down there :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:44 pm

Yes it was good to catch up too.. Got a call from BM today and they traveled around for a few days and enjoyed what they've seen.
May catch up with them again in the morning as they're back this way tomorrow as they leave tomorrow night..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Great little read adrian. Good on you for taking out fellow members visiting your little paradise and showing them around.
Keep up the good work and lovely pics as usual.
Cheers

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:23 am

Well done
Great report

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:54 am

Good report and pics as always :-D
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:23 am

great hospitality Adrian and good read. If you're ever over on the mainland, I'm sure there's a few of us that would share the same.
quid est quod eum

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks guys, they're on the boat and heading back tonight.. I'm sure BM will put up a report too once he's settled in back home..
I do know one thing.. they thoroughly enjoyed the trip, scenery & the trout fishing down here.. Only thing wrong was their stay was too short.

cheers
Adrian..
Last edited by meppstas on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:09 pm

Great work putting up with Barra mick I can say Joanne makes the best spiders . As always great report and pictures

Return to “Tasmania”