Trout lure breaks in half..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Trout lure breaks in half..

Post by meppstas » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:32 am

One of my best little hard body trout takers snapped in two on me yesterday for some reason or another. I have several of these little Daiwa lures and did have trouble with the bibs breaking one a trout was hooked & in the net. I reinforced them with expoxy resin which solved that problem. But this one was a first for me as I've never had a lure just break in half before though this little one has had a lot of use and probably caught 60 or more trout. It was showing signs of wear & tear from some solid fishing over several trips to the rivers.. It was funny as I had just caught & released trout number 12 for the arvo too and was about to head back to the car when I thought I'd have one more cast. As I was about to cast the lure the bottom half just dropped into the river in front of me.. Here's a photo of the little trout taker, now retired...I did thing about repairing it but wouldn't feel confident of how long it would last, besides I would hate to hook and lose a decent size trout too.. :-D

cheers
Adrian
Mersey River, Liena..5671 (Medium).JPG
Well worn ghost brown lure, this was after taking trout No.12..
IMG_5672 (Medium).JPG
And this is the same lure just after catching that fish.. I took this photo once I got home,,
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

cantcatchem

Re: Trout lure breaks in half..

Post by cantcatchem » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:20 am

Yeah, she's done for mate, her trout taking days are over, never seen a lure do that before

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:46 am

Possibly become brittle over time due to sun exposure mate. I'd say you've got your money's worth out of that lure though. I notice you alternate between spinners and hardbodies on most of your sessions.....have you used the Vibrax Blue Fox spinners at all and what do you think of them?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:55 am

Never heard of or seen a lure snap in half like that but sounds like it’s served you well Adrian.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:01 am

Sounds like it time to retire it.
Probably just gottenbrittle from the sun

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:10 pm

smile0784 wrote:Sounds like it time to retire it.
Probably just gottenbrittle from the sun
Interesting report Adrian
Can't say I've seen that happen before
Brittle from the sun, are you blokes crazy, he lives in Tasmania
Brittle from snowmelt maybe

Cheers Gra

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:55 pm

Stumpjumper wrote:Possibly become brittle over time due to sun exposure mate. I'd say you've got your money's worth out of that lure though. I notice you alternate between spinners and hardbodies on most of your sessions.....have you used the Vibrax Blue Fox spinners at all and what do you think of them?
Thanks guys, it did a good job while it lasted that's for sure.. You're probably right too it became brittle to sun, very high UV & the elements (like snowmelt :down: ) down here in Tassie. They're a hollow lure and the outer body shell is less than 1.00mm in thickness.. so eventually something had to give I suppose.
Yes I have a few Vibrax spinners that Rex Hunt sent me in 2016 and they work really well and I have caught a few trout on them too.. :thumbsup:
IMG_5673 (Medium).JPG
Very thin outer shell, less than 1 mm in thickness..
Blue Fox vibrax lure bags a Mersey River brown at Merseylea.(21-4-16) (Medium).JPG
Blue fox spinner & Mersey River brown..
cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 pm

Only 60 trout and it broke Adrian - time to complain to Daiwa :super:

How did you get on with your visitors from the mainland?

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Paulanderson wrote:Only 60 trout and it broke Adrian - time to complain to Daiwa :super:

How did you get on with your visitors from the mainland?
Only Russellh & his partner Lesley made it over here, his mates partner had a severe gallstone attack and had to have and operation so they couldn't get here... that report is all written up which I will put on the site as soon as I read through it.. We had a great time and plenty of laughs with Russell & Lesley too, great couple they were.. I'm sure there will be reply from Russell once my report hits the site... :-D :-D
Barra Mick is heading down here on March 6 and I'm looking forward to catching up with him too.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:31 pm

Paulanderson wrote:Only 60 trout and it broke Adrian - time to complain to Daiwa :super:
:-D Yeah I'd be wanting a refund.

Return to “Tasmania”