Upper Mersey gives up a few more trout..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:06 pm

I was originally going to head to the upper Mersey River at Liena at 4:30 am this morning when I woke up but after laying there for a while I decided not to. As much as I wanted to get up I just couldn't be bothered because of a couple of sleepless nights. As the day went on and there was some good cloud cover around I then decided to head up there around 2:10 pm. I arrived at Liena just on 2:45 and soon had the wading gear on and headed off on my 1.5 km walk to where I'll start my spin session. Once there I was soon in the river flicking the little gold Aglia around and it wasn't all that long after having two hit and misses before I had my first brown in hand. It was only a little one but it was still a fish and that's all that mattered. The weather here was quite humid and I was still hot from my walk so I moved into a deeper run to help cool my body temp down a little. As I worked my way upstream I picked up two more small browns from five hook ups which wasn't all that bad.
IMG_5294 (Medium).JPG
My starting point..
IMG_5295 (Medium).JPG
Cooled off here..
Once I was out of the fast water I changed over to the small ghost brown hard body to fish the next long slow to medium stretch of river. It took around five minutes before I had a medium size brown take the lure and after a short tussle this fish was soon in the net. After that it was pretty slow going with just a hit and miss over some sixty meters of river until I reached the head water. This head water is the same one that gave up quite a few trout back on the 2nd December when I fished here. It did it again today as I caught and released three small rainbows and two medium size browns as well as hooking and losing two others.
IMG_5296 (Medium).JPG
Couple of small browns taken here..
IMG_5306 (Medium).JPG
One of the smaller browns..
IMG_5308 (Medium).JPG
Medium size brown..
IMG_5299 (Medium).JPG
Solid fish..
IMG_5309 (Medium).JPG
Couple of trout taken here..

I was now back into the fast water so this time I went for the black bladed Aglia mainly because the sun had broken through the clouds and was full on the clear water. It was the second short fast water where I did a cast and drift with the spinner and picked up another plump 380 gram brown. The next run was a nice one at the tail end of a wide stretch of the Mersey that flowed into it over a mass of boulders, it was here I picked up a solid 390 gram rainbow as well as hooking and losing another small brown. From here on it was a mix of shallow fast water runs and a few medium flowing stretches of river. I fished these waters with the gold Aglia given that the cloud cover had moved back again. I finished up catching and releasing another six small to medium size browns before calling it a day at 6:20 pm. The fishing did turn out to be much better than I had expected really, just a shame the trout were not as large as my last trip here. Still, with thirteen browns & four rainbows caught and released as well as hooking and losing several others I shouldn't complain.
Rainbow trout taken on gold Aglia, Mersey River. (Medium).JPG
Best rainbow of the day..
IMG_5302 (Medium).JPG
Rainbow picked up here..
IMG_5311 (Medium).JPG
Last photo of the session..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Upper Mersey gives up a few more trout..

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:41 pm

Nice one Adrian

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:56 pm

:nicefish:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:57 pm

You are a dam good river trout fisherman buddy, I love your work :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:13 am

Thanks guys, some days are better than others with trout fishing and this was one of those better days.. Have had a couple of stinkers since this trip, reports to follow later.. Just about to head off again now (4:10 am), couldn't sleep so decided for an early start on the Meander River fast water..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:30 am

Great report and pics as always mate! Good luck with today’s session :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:18 am

Good report once again mate

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:50 pm

The spots on that rainbow are gorgeous Adrian another great report mate.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:56 pm

Great report and photos Adrian

Gra

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:49 am

Thanks guys... :thumbsup:
The fishing has been a little tough of late due to so many insect hatches, trout are mainly surface feeding now which makes it tough for spin fishing.
Still good that I'm picking up a few at the moment, no "donuts" yet so far this season, though I have come very close to it a couple of times.. February onwards things should pick up for the spin fisher.. The trout have all been in top condition this season which is good..I've seen quite a few Cormorants on the Mersey & Meander Rivers over several trips and this doesn't help the trout fishing either. :down:

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”