Only the one trout, hamstring all good...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Only the one trout, hamstring all good...

Post by meppstas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:14 pm

Only the one trout, hamstring all good.. 22-8-17

It's been two weeks now since I damaged the hamstring and I felt it was time to put it to the test. Even though I have to see the physio again on Thursday, to me it feels good enough to have a short spin session in a river. Left Sheffield at 1:15 pm and arrived near the river just before 2:00 pm. I soon had the waders & boots on then off for leisurely forty minute walk that included a little bush bashing before I was finally at the rivers edge. All I had to do then was to find an easy entry point, instead of sliding down a steep river bank. It only took me a couple of minutes before I found one that was good enough, providing I took it easy. At last I was back to what I love doing most, spin fishing a river for that elusive trout.
IMG_4339 (Medium).JPG
Now where to enter the river..
IMG_4341 (Medium).JPG
Found a way in, little slippery but did it slowly..
The weather was quite cool with some light drizzle drifting across every now and then, not enough to bother me.. The river itself had good flow with a nice medium to dark tannin colour and a cool five degrees. This trip I was using a Mepps #00 Aglia Mouche Rouge mainly because it was already on the set up that I had on the Daiwa Presso trout rod. I could have changed it, but seeing as it was a gold bladed spinner I knew it would still do the job on the trout if there here today. This one and a half kilometer stretch of river runs hot and cold with the fishing, they're either here or they're not. I slowly worked my way upstream, it was on the seventh cast when a nice little river brown took the spinner. After it made a leap or two and a few hard runs it wasn't all that long before I had it in the net. It was a beautifully coloured little 340 gram fish that was in pretty good condition. It was soon back in the river after a couple of quick photos. That was it for quite some time, I didn't sight a fish over the following eight hundred meters before I finally had a strike from another quality brown. That fish spat the spinner as quick as it grabbed it which was a pretty disappointing.
IMG_4349 (Medium).JPG
First & only trout taken here..
IMG_4344 (Medium).JPG
nice 340 gram brown
IMG_4345 (Medium).JPG
Close up of the brown..
IMG_4347 (Medium).JPG
Eased myself over this old fallen tree..
IMG_4352 (Medium).JPG
Trout hooked & lost here..
The good thing was the hamstring wasn't a problem at all and that's even after I have carefully made my way over several fallen trees that lay across the river. Twice I had to climb back up the river bank to go around some that were just to large to risk climbing over. I fished on for another three quarters of a kilometer without a sight of a trout when I called it a day at 4:45 pm. It may have only yielded the one trout on the day, but it was certainly great to get back into a river, even better that the hamstring held up..
IMG_4351 (Medium).JPG
Went around this mess..
IMG_4353 (Medium).JPG
Last piece of water fished before calling it a day..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Only the one trout, hamstring all good...

Post by Texas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Beautiful Adrian

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:46 pm

Nice report and pics Adrian!
Good to see you are back in action mate :thumbsup:

Thomassssss

Post by Thomassssss » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:52 pm

Nice report and a beautiful little trout.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 60 times

Post by Paulanderson » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:48 pm

Looks like a bit of an overgrown stream to test out a hamstring Adrian - at least one Brown for your efforts!

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:40 pm

Beautiful looking stream - you certainly go hard!

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Thanks guys, it is a beautiful little stream and once th weather settles down and the water temp rises between 11-16 degrees the fishing will certainly improve.. The reason I chose this one today even though it requires some accurate casting, the river bottom is very easy for wading as it a light shingle/gravel bottom. I'll probably fish it a few times in different areas before I hit the bigger rivers that are running very high at the moment..
It is one of my favorite little streams to fish.. photo below is just one of many around the size that I catch in it as the season goes on..
cheers
Adrian
670 grams of muscle. (Medium).JPG
a solid trout from this little stream last April, 670 grams.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:13 am

Nice looking wster

Return to “Tasmania”