Every trout well earned today..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Every trout well earned today..

Post by meppstas » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Every trout well earned today.

After being out of action for a week due to lower back pain and a pulled muscle near the left shoulder blade I finally had a two hour session on the Mersey River this morning. It was mainly overcast with a light Easterly breeze, quite good weather conditions to be on the river even if the wind was from the East. Once at the river it wasn't all that long before I was in it flicking the little gold black fury around in the crystal clear water. Every now and then I noticed a trout on the rise in a long medium flowing stretch ahead of me so the trout are about which was good to see. Now it's just a matter of trying to catch one. As good as the two fast water runs that I fished first up looked really good they never gave up anything which was disappointing.
Mersey River at Merseylea.. 9-3-17 (Medium).JPG
Not one fish here at all..

As I moved onto the next run I flicked the spinner through a couple of small flat waters that were behind a few large boulders and picked up two small (260 gm) browns. I was now halfway into fishing the next fast water which up to now had been pretty quiet when the little black fury was taken by one very solid fish. This hooked fish was some twenty five meters away so I wasn't sure if it was a brown or a rainbow that was hooked. Being a wide shallow fast water I was thinking rainbow trout, but still not sure. It did break the surface some distance away but I still couldn't see what it was. It was putting up one hell of a fight and I new it was a decent trout what ever species it was. When I it was around six meters away it made a leap from the river and that's when I could see it was a nice size rainbow. Another two leaps from the river and several more runs every which way it was slowly starting to tire which was a relief. But with any river fish they're never beaten until they're in the net, even then they still carry on. It took me another couple of minutes before I managed to lead this beautiful rainbow into the net. This was one very solid fish and my best rainbow taken this season as well as being my second best wild river rainbow trout. This fish went 740 grams which is a good 'bow for a river here in the North of Tasmania. After a couple of quick photos then five minutes spent getting it back to full strength it was on it's way.
Fast water at Merseylea. 9-3-17 (Medium).JPG
Fast water...
very solid 740 gram Mersey River wild rainbow trout. 9-3-17 (Medium).JPG
My second best wild rainbow trout taken in the Mersey River..
740gm Rainbow caught here, Mersey River at Merseylea. 9-3-17 (Medium).JPG
Rainbow taken here..
740 gm rainbow just released back into the Mersey River.. 9-3-17 (Medium).JPG
And it's back in the river..
I fished on for another hour and it was tough going, the trout were just not on the take today. I did have several follows and tried a variety of spinners and hard body lures without success. The last two small fast water runs I fished before calling it a day gave up another two small (270gm) browns. Every trout caught today even though they were few and far between were all well earned fish that's for sure. Low, warm & clear water is the main reason for them being this way and will be until we get a cool change and a dose of rain which hopefully isn't too far off. The walk back to the car in two meter high grass wasn't all that good either...
Little #00  Mepps gold aglia. that caught 740gm rainbow, Mersey River. 9-3-17 (Medium).JPG
The little black fury that did the job today.. (it's actually and Aglia that I stuck a black fury sticker on)
Very high (2 mtrs) grass at Merseylea. 9-3-17 (Medium).JPG
Two meter high grass, not over keen walking in it..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Every trout well earned today..

Post by dazz999 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:37 pm

awesome pics stunning part of the world you have got there

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:45 pm

your 4th pic would have loved to run a fly threw on that left hand side

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:24 pm

Great report and pics as always mate :thumbsup:

Born2fish

Post by Born2fish » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:37 pm

Bloody wicked report mate

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:46 pm

dazz999 wrote:your 4th pic would have loved to run a fly threw on that left hand side
Thanks guys, that's where I picked up the rainbow too, close in near the river bank..

You would have liked the next section of river too just a little further up.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:47 pm

Thank's mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Return to “Tasmania”