Great start to 2017 with 29 trout caught...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
donutcrooks

Re: Great start to 2017 with 29 trout caught...

Post by donutcrooks » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:52 pm

Great post mate! Wondering what rig you have? I'm still new to fishing and was wondering what is the most effective way to lure fishing. :)

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:52 am

I use Daiwa Presso Rods 6' & 6'6" in length 1-2kg Ultra Light Spin with Daiwa Exceler 2004H, Revros 1003, Presso 1503 & Ageas 2004 reels all filled with 4 lb Platypus Super 100 mono line. Small size 12 swivel tied on the end followed by a anti twist keel with 6 lb leader attached (see photo). The Daiwa reels I bought direct from Japan mainly because they all have spools on them that only hold 98-100 meters of the 4 lb line and that way I don't have to half or three quarter fill them with backing line. The Revros reels are the cheapest and can be bought for around AU$87-00 (Ebay) from Japan and they're a great reel for the price. The rods (6 off them) 4 were from Mo-Tackle (when they had 20% off sale) and the other two from Tackle busters (Sth Aust) picked them up for $129 ea ( & free delivery, takes two weeks to get them) which is $30 cheaper than Mo-Tackles normal price.
Hope this has been of some help to you..

cheers
Adrian..
Anti-kink (keel) set up. (Medium) (Small).JPG
Anti kink keel set up I use..
Anti-kink (keel) set up. (Medium) (Small).JPG (74.39 KiB) Viewed 407 times
Anti-kink setup.jpg
Anti kink with trout fly attatched.
Anti-kink setup.jpg (70.94 KiB) Viewed 407 times
The keels come clear but i have painted mine as an often attach a trout fly to the keel as it's the first thing the trout see as he spinner is retrieved downstream, quite often the trout will have a go at it.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:39 pm

Adrian

This thread is the best description I have ever read on colour selection to suit conditions. Every beginner should read this.

Thank you for the time and effort you put into providing your informative threads.

:thumbsup:

Do you think there are differences in the behaviour of browns and rainbows towards colours under comparable conditions?

Best Wishes

Truedogz

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks Truedogz, browns can be much more selective from day to day and even in different stretches of river as well.. Sometimes they'll take a copper spinner from the start then 300 meters up the river they won't have a bar of it. So with the browns one often has to keep changing lures.. As for the rainbows, well I've found them to be much more aggressive and will take most thing lures that are presented to them. There are the odd days when they won't take a lure but that's not all too often. I love catching the rainbows as they give up a better fight than a brown of the same size, the only thing is they stress very quickly and if not put back in the river quick enough after being caught they'll go belly up. That's why I always photograph them while they're in the landing net as well as removing the lure while they're in it as well.. Rainbows have saved me going home with a donut to my name on many a trip over the years.. The rivers that only have brown trout in them are more difficult to fish because of the way the browns can be on the day and that's why I always like to catch a brown early into a session.. It's a challenge each and every time I fish a river and that's what I love about it as well as being in beautiful surrounds too.. doesn't get any better mate.. ;-)

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Tasmania”