Trout weren't in the Christmas spirit..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Trout weren't in the Christmas spirit..

Post by meppstas » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:30 am

Trout not in the Christmas spirit.

Overcast and humid conditions had me out of bed and on the road just before 5:00am this morning heading to the River for a spin session. I was in the river by 6:05 am and was soon flicking the little #00 copper black fury about in the crystal clear cool water. I love fishing in humid conditions even though it can be quite uncomfortable at times. It was a pretty quiet start today, all I could manage was two very light hits on the spinner over the first three stretches of river in thirty five minutes of spinning. I am now entering into one of my favourite stretches of water, a wide medium flowing section of river that always gives up a few browns in which I'm confident it will again today.
IMG_3300 (Medium).JPG
Good stretch of river, always gives up a fish or two..
A change from the black fury to a brand new model Atomic Shad40 lure that I bought a a couple of weeks ago and want to try out in the Meander. This little lure is the same size as the Ghost Gill brown lures that I've been using & catching trout on during previous trips here. This model is a slightly different in body colour and has an orange/red belly, it's another one that I feel will do okay in this river.
IMG_3298 (Medium).JPG
Atomic Shad40 Ghost brown hard body..

It only took a few casts to the right hand side of the river when I had my first take on this little Ghost brown shad, it didn't stay on for long and was gone after the second head shake. At least I know the lure is a trout attractor so my instinct with this lure may have been a good one. One thing I forgot to do with these new lures was to up the size of the trebles as I did with the other Shad lures. It was all that long before I had another strike on the hard body and this solid brown stayed on all the way to the net. Finally after fifty minutes of being in the river I had my first brown caught, photographed and back in the river at 6:51 am. I continued to work my way upstream hooking two browns which I lost before I caught three browns in a row which was a relief as I was starting to get a little crabby. The trout were in a real mood today, maybe it's due to a weather change that's on it's way I'm not all that sure. I do know that they're not in the Christmas spirit today that's for sure.
IMG_3299 (Medium).JPG
solid brown..
IMG_3302 (Medium).JPG
close up of wild brown on Ghost brown lure..
With that stretch of river now done with it was back into the fast water for the rest of the session so it was back to the little black fury. Follow after follow without a single strike from the trout was really starting to tick me off, even the cast and drift method wasn't getting any solid hits. Every so often one would give the spinner a light tap before turning and darting off. I tried several different colours & models all to no avail before going back and staying with the copper blade black fury. Staying with the copper blade spinner paid off because I picked up three more browns from six hook ups and several follows over the next two hundred meters. I called it a day at 9:15am because I was hot and flustered, plus my back was giving me hell from sitting on a wooden stool for six hours yesterday. I was stiff and sore before I left this morning and thought I may work it out with a walk and a spin session. That didn't happen.. All good again now since getting home and resting up for the most of the day.
IMG_3304 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3311 (Medium).JPG
Solid brown taken close to river bank..
IMG_3310 (Medium).JPG
The brown caught close to river bank..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Pedro

Re: Trout weren't in the Christmas spirit..

Post by Pedro » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:55 am

Thanks for the informative report and pics.
pedr0

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:19 am

Thanks Pedro, I was glad the little hard body bream lures worked and I hadn't wasted my $$$$'s on them.. ;-)

Hope on my next trip the trout will more aggressive.. :fish22:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:18 pm

Nice fishing

Return to “Tasmania”