26 Trout & found the needle in a hay stack..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

26 Trout & found the needle in a hay stack..

Post by meppstas » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:11 pm

Here's the short story on how I found "The Needle In A Hay Stack"
9-Where I lost the Atomic lure last week (1st Dec.) (Small).JPG
Here's where I lost the lure last week..
I was half way through a session on the river when I came to the area where I lost ly little Atomic Shad40 lure last week I decided to see if I could find it. Now the odds of finding it after not being back here for a week would have to be very high I would think. I stood on the river bank and roughly worked out where I had been standing in the river and the approx area that I felt the lure had lobbed when the line parted. Then I worked out roughly (which I didn't think of doing last time) the drift of the 2.7gm sinking lure would have gone with the flow in meter deep water. So out I went to see if I could spot the little 4cm lure amongst the rocky river bed. This is mission impossible really I thought to my self. Once out where I thought it may be found I couldn't believe it when I looked down in front of me and spotted what I though was the lure. Bending over to cast a shadow on the water, there it was sitting upright wedged between a large and small rock. It was the gold Atomic name printed on the top of it that caught my eye.
9- needle in a hay stack has been found, Meander River. (Small).JPG
the needle in a hay stack..
9-Back with the twin  after being lost for a week in the river (Small).JPG
Back with the twin..
9-Back with the twin after being lost for a week in the river (Small).JPG (185.19 KiB) Viewed 925 times
6-A beautiful 1.2kg wild brown trout, (Small).JPG
1.2 kg wild brown trout
6-A beautiful 1.2kg wild brown trout, (Small).JPG (184.71 KiB) Viewed 925 times
6-Atomic Shad40 lure & 1.2kg  brown trout. (Small).JPG
Close up of 1.2 kg brown
6-Atomic Shad40 lure & 1.2kg brown trout. (Small).JPG (146.35 KiB) Viewed 925 times
Now it was in around 90cms of water so I tucked the rod in the waist belt at the back of my waders, rolled up my right sleeve reached down while trying to keep my vest out of the water with my left hand and plucked the little lure from it's resting place. It was now back where it belonged, with me and it's twin. Even while I'm writing this I still find it hard to believe I managed to find it on the first go. Last week I spent fifteen minutes looking for it and gave it up as lost. Finding it felt more rewarding than all the fish I had caught and released today in a funny sort of way. This was certainly what I call finding “ The Needle In A Hay Stack.” Now with that out of the way, it was back to the fishing.
2-Copper black fury catches the first fish,  (Small).JPG
2-Copper black fury catches the first fish, (Small).JPG (176.14 KiB) Viewed 925 times
8-Shad40 lure catches another solid brown. (Small).JPG
I had a top session today fishing two different areas over 6 hours of wading the river in what was good conditions until the wind picked up.. I managed to catch and release 26 browns with most taken on the black fury spinner and a few on the Atomic shad40, the biggest brown went 1.2kgs.. Pretty tired at the end of the day, but it was well worth the effort and pain...
4-Little brown caught on Mepps copper Aglia. (Small).JPG
Small brown one of ten taken in the last stretch of river.
Solid brown brown on Mepps. (Small).JPG
solid brown..
Solid brown brown on Mepps. (Small).JPG (161.97 KiB) Viewed 925 times
11-One of ten browns caught in another fast water stretch(Small).JPG
Another one of the ten caught in the last run I fished..
11-One of ten browns caught in another fast water stretch(Small).JPG (145.64 KiB) Viewed 922 times
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: 26 Trout & found the needle in a hay stack..

Post by Lightningx » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:57 pm

Top session Adrian with some really nice pics! You were extemely lucky to find that lure mate :P

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:15 pm

There is great pleasure in retrieving a lost lure it's like finding a $20 note in an old pair of pants that you haven't worn for age :super: s. Nice fish as well Adrian :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:31 pm

26 trout in a day is no small feat. Finding a lost lure certainly a bonus too!

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:35 pm

Those Atomic lures are gems caught my first bass on an Atomic popper

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:39 pm

Well done on the trout

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:40 pm

Great stuff Adrian as always :thumbsup: I remember years back when the drought was at its worst finding a heap of lures amongst the exposed timber and rocks at Lake Eppalock some were in surprisingly good condition and I still have them :thumbsup:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:01 pm

Boonanza wrote:There is great pleasure in retrieving a lost lure it's like finding a $20 note in an old pair of pants that you haven't worn for age :super: s. Nice fish as well Adrian :thumbsup:
Thanks guys... :thumbsup: shot into Devonport this arvo & picked up a few more seeing members received %25 off up until tomorrow.
This time I grabbed 38mm Shad mid water Ghost Gill Brown & Ghost brown shad, also ordered four shad40 Ghost Shad browns online today @ $7.50 ea.

Boonza, here's a photo of a $100 note that I found in the Mersey River while fishing one day.. And last year found $10 in the Meander River.. :super:
Adrians Photos 444 (Medium).JPG
Lucky find in the Mersey River while trout fishing.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:02 pm

Well done on finding your needle,who would have thought that would happen after a week and some nice trout.
The last brown trout pic has some really bright red spots on it,is normally the case?
:cheers:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:08 pm

Wow that's a mighty fine effort mate.
Bonus finding that lost lure.
The atomic is one of my favorite lures. Caught my first bream in that exact type but in ayu colour. Then the next day tired this exact same one and caught heaps more.
We've are you getting them for $7.50 that's a very good price for an already cheap lure

Return to “Tasmania”