Great Three Hours Trout Fishing Cold Water.

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Great Three Hours Trout Fishing Cold Water.

Post by meppstas » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:19 pm

15-8-16
'' Great three hours trout fishing cold water. ''

At last a day without wind or rain had me heading off with the trout rod to check out a couple of rivers to fish. Well the two that I was hoping to have a session in were both running too high for my liking so I went to a small creek some 20 kilometers away that I often have a fish in early season. Today I'm hoping it will give up a fish or two today as well. Once there I found it was running reasonably high and very cloudy in colour, but still fish-able. Before I put the waders & boots on I thought I would just flick a WildBait hard body lure from the banks of the creek. It only took a couple of casts before I had a hit and miss, so the signs were there that there may be a few fish about. I fished along the creek for just on fifty meters for three nice browns all in the 300gm - 500gm range. So it was back to the car and on with the wading gear.
IMG_2467 (Small).JPG
Fist brown for the day.
IMG_2467 (Small).JPG (217.47 KiB) Viewed 907 times
IMG_2472 (Small).JPG
Another nice river wild brown trout
IMG_2472 (Small).JPG (188.39 KiB) Viewed 907 times
Working my way up this little creek in water that was just on 7 degrees I picked up another two solid browns before the little 5 cm lure was taken by one very solid brown. I couldn't see it for the first twenty seconds or so as it stayed deep. I was actually hard up against the clay bank of the creek and keeping my footing was really tough. I kept the drag to the minimum required as not to bust this fish off. Then finally it came to the surface and made several leaps and runs both up and down this narrow creek. It headed for a sunken log and some rushes next to the bank and I thought, well this is it, this fish is going to take me down. Keeping the rod tip high I just managed to hold him off and stopped him reaching that log and rushes. Four times I thought I had this big bugger beaten, but each time I went to slip the net under him he made another run for freedom. I was really getting worried now as I could see the lure wasn't holding by all that much now. Then I made one last lunge with the net and slipped it under him and soon had this big brown on the grass. It was then the lure fell from it's mouth. It had straightened two of the three hooks on the top set of trebles.
I can tell you now, it was a relief to finally see that fish on the grass that's for sure. It was a big 2.65 kg male brown and beautifully coloured too. Two quick photos and I soon had him back in the creek and watched him swim off. This fish is the second heaviest river brown that I have caught in my time fishing the rivers here in Tasmania.
IMG_2480 (Small).JPG
This fish of the day, A solid 2.65 kg male brown.
IMG_2480 (Small).JPG (200.91 KiB) Viewed 907 times
IMG_2481 (Small).JPG
One very nice fish..
IMG_2481 (Small).JPG (190.52 KiB) Viewed 907 times
IMG_2482 (Small).JPG
After his release before he moved off..
IMG_2482 (Small).JPG (95.8 KiB) Viewed 907 times
IMG_2485 (Small).JPG
Damaged treble
IMG_2485 (Small).JPG (77.87 KiB) Viewed 907 times
I fished on for another hour and caught and released another five nice browns from seven hook ups in which was a good days fishing. Oh, after catching that large brown I lost my landing net, lucky it was a wooden one as I found it up against the river bank as I headed back to the car. It had travelled around a kilometer downstream. With thirteen hook ups and eleven of them landed it was a great second trip for the season.. One I'll remember for quite sometime too..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Great Three Hours Trout Fishing Cold Water.

Post by Lightningx » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:26 pm

Nice report Adrian! Sounds like you were very lucky to land that big brown! Great pics :thumbsup:

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:27 pm

Adrian they are some magnificent trout and another cracking report :thumbsup: . Its good to get some of the big boys they would have put up a great fight. I see the Wildbaits are working well my order should arrive this week can't wait.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:29 pm

Marty.A wrote:Adrian they are some magnificent trout and another cracking report :thumbsup: . Its good to get some of the big boys they would have put up a great fight. I see the Wildbaits are working well my order should arrive this week can't wait.
Thanks guys, yes Marty they're doing well that's for sure. I've ordered a few more as well.. :-D

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:13 pm

Cracking fish mate & a great start to the season :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:29 pm

Congratulations on a very serious Brown from a small stream Adrian. One wonders if those trebles are a bit soft as they should not straighten like that when you are using light tackle? Well done and a great second trip for the season.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:20 am

Yes, though with a solid fish twisting and turning would have done some damage to them, but like you said they may be a bit soft too. I'm replacing them with some new decoy trebles today actually..

cheers
Adrian

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:34 am

That's ripper brown Adrian! solid start to the season!
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:52 am

Marty.A wrote:Adrian they are some magnificent trout and another cracking report :thumbsup: . Its good to get some of the big boys they would have put up a great fight. I see the Wildbaits are working well my order should arrive this week can't wait.
were did you order the wildbait lure from ??

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

silloth

Post by silloth » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:37 am

nice fishing sort of day i dream about
did you catch them all on the same lure pattern

Return to “Tasmania”