Northern Rivers Running High & Cold.

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Northern Rivers Running High & Cold.

Post by meppstas » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:07 pm

''Northern Rivers Running High and Cold.'' 5-8-15

Finally we were greeted with a day of full sun and a light breeze, a day that I could finally go and have a wander along a river to see what's happening. I headed on over to Merseylea around 11.00am only to find the Mersey River running high and fast and a quick check of the water temp to find it was a cold 4.3 degrees. Now that's very cold, too cold to get a trout motivated into taking a lure that's for sure. I still put on the waders and headed off downstream to check out an area where I knew the Mersey should be spilling into a small backwater run. The river was spilling into it which was nice to see and it was around 300mms deep so I flicked a small fluro spinner around for a short time without any success. Then tried a small rainbow Rapala with the same result, not that I was really expecting to catch anything with the water being so cold any way. But it was still good to get out and have a flick of a lure after a three month lay off, and it's my first trip with nearly a week of the season already gone. I spent close on a hour wandering and checking out different sections of the river as I made my way back to the car. I wasn't in any rush to get back to the car as it was so good to be out and about in the sun for a change.

When I did reach the car an old fella (Yep! Older than me..) pulled up for a bit of a chat. He said he fished with worms for a two hours yesterday and picked up a couple of browns on worms. Today he had spent two and a half hours and not had a touch, but he was going to have another stint around 2.00pm for a couple more hours in the hope of bagging a few more. So in the morning I may head out and see if I can dig up a few worms then go and have a few hours of bait fishing too. I have a nice spot well upstream that usually gives up a trout or two when the river is high and cold. Just hope tomorrow's weather is as good as today's. Nothing better than sitting back on a river bank in the sun with a couple of baited lines in the river waiting for a run. We'll just have to see what tomorrow brings wont we??
cheers
Adrian
Attachments
High & fast water, Mersey River at Merseylea.(6-8-15) (Medium).JPG
Nice run of backwater, Merseylea.(6-8-15) (Medium).JPG
Mersey River running high & very cold water. Merseylea.(6-8-15) (Medium).JPG
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Northern Rivers Running High & Cold.

Post by barra mick » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:14 pm

Looks a bit dirty in the pics
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:06 pm

The main river was a little clouded BM, but much clearer than I had expected. The backwater only being shallow was better as I could see the lure all the way on the retrieve. Still too bloody cold though mate..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:42 pm

Looks very cold Adrian thats for sure! :a_goodjob:
Shame you didnt catch a fish. :snap:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:30 pm

The Mersey Never really fished that well this early in the season Connor, will be at least a couple of weeks before ti gives up a few on the lures. Once the river level drops and it slows down a bit it will start to give up a few. It's only good for bait fishing at the moment though, more snow & rain due again on Sunday & Monday I think.... :down:

Return to “Tasmania”