Two Hours Back At Weegena. (9-12-14)

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Two Hours Back At Weegena. (9-12-14)

Post by meppstas » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Beauty of the Mersey River,Weegena.(9-12-14) (Medium).JPG
'' TWO HOURS BACK AT WEEGENA.'' 9-12-14

With dull overcast and mild conditions, with a change on the way I headed back up to Weegena this afternoon for a short spin session. Given it's been six days since I had my last dose of acupuncture I thought it should be okay to fish for and hour or two. Once I arrived at Weegena the sun broke through the clouds making it quite warm. By the time I had walked through the bush and crossed the river, on through a few more paddocks to where I entered the Mersey the cloud cover had come back.

The first stretch of fast water I fished using the small black fury (black blade) I managed five hook ups without having to move. Lost the first two rainbows that did the usual thing by tossing the spinner after several leaps from the river, but was lucky enough to land the third take. This was another rainbow that went 360gms, it was soon back in the river after a quick photo. I then hooked and lost the next two as well, these were both rainbows too.

The next run of fast water was much shallower and this had some good flat runs in several sections of it, these flat runs gave up two more trout being a rainbow and a brown. The wind had now picked up and was really getting gusty but it didn't effect the fishing as I still managed another three hookups of which all were lost in the same way as the rest. The trout weren't aggressive today they were just mouthing it and most were only lipped.

By the time I started fishing the next fast water stretch the wind was starting to ease a little which was a relief, that made it much better for casting the little Mepps spinner. Fishing this stretch of river I picked up another brown and one more solid rainbow from six more hook ups. The wind had now dropped right off to nothing and I could feel the change in the air, it had turned much cooler plus it had a damp feeling to it. The fish also went off too, I fished another three hundred meters of river and didn't have a follow at all. There was not a sign of a fish over that whole distance of river. I'm sure the change of weather had a lot to do with it too, so I called it a day. Two hours of spinning in which I managed to have sixteen hookups, but could only get a total of five trout to stay hooked.

Hooking and losing so many trout does get a bit frustrating at times, but this is what one has to put up with when fishing fast water with small spinners. I have had plenty of days when the tables have gone the other way and I have landed a lot more fish than I've lost.
Cheers
Adrian
Attachments
Great stretch of Mersey fast water.(9-12-14) (Medium).JPG
1st rainbow for the session,Weegena.(9-12-14) (Medium).JPG
More Mersey River fast water, Weegena.(9-12-14) (Medium).JPG
Last fish for the session,Weegena.(9-12-14) (Medium).JPG
Mersey River at Weegena,,(9-12-14) (Medium).JPG
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Tasmania”