Brown Trout Season starts 2nd August. (Tasmania)

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Brown Trout Season starts 2nd August. (Tasmania)

Post by meppstas » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:50 pm

Well it's been just on three months now and the 2014-15 Trout Season is just a week away. This year is the 150th year since trout where first introduced (1864) in Australia and actually the brown trout were only put on the ship to Australia by mistake too. There was a small load of fertilised brown trout eggs placed in the a container of ice with the Atlantic Salmon that came out here after there were several failed attempts to get the Atlantics to survive (or stay in the rivers) here. The trip from England to Australia took around three months back then too. The browns were reared in a hatchery at the small town of Plenty, they survived and it went from there to where it is today 150 years on. The hatchery at Plenty is now know as the Salmon Ponds and it now has a museum filled full of memorabilia in it, and is well worth a visit when down that way. http://www.ifs.tas.gov.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So I'm all set with all my trout rods and reels ready to hit the rivers here in the north of Tasmania, just hope the weather holds for a few days at the start on Saturday 2nd August.
Hopefully young ''Lake Leake Boy'' and myself will have a couple of decent reports to put on the site over the opening weekend.
cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

mazman
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Brown Trout Season starts 2nd August.

Post by mazman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Good luck to you for opening weekend and I look forward to reading your report afterwards. We still have to wait until the 5th of September in victoria.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Rod Bender

Re: Brown Trout Season starts 2nd August. (Tasmania)

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Looking forward to seeing your reports!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

meppstas

Re: Brown Trout Season starts 2nd August.

Post by meppstas » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:23 pm

mazman wrote:Good luck to you for opening weekend and I look forward to reading your report afterwards. We still have to wait until the 5th of September in victoria.
Thanks guys, 5th of September.. :protest: That will soon be here, time seems to pass by pretty quick now days... :-D Well it does at my age anyway.. :shocker:
Weather forecast isn't looking to flash for next week either, may be a bait fishing trip by the looks of it.. :set1_fishing: Still be good though.. :thumbsup:
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

bigwatkins

Post by bigwatkins » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:34 pm

Well now i need to jump on jetstar.com and see when i can get down. I was down in tassie in march this year for my brothers wedding just outside of launceston and i was frothing at the mouth looking at the river systems

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:19 pm

bigwatkins wrote:Well now i need to jump on jetstar.com and see when i can get down. I was down in tassie in march this year for my brothers wedding just outside of launceston and i was frothing at the mouth looking at the river systems
If you do get back to the North of Tassie and want a day or so in a river give me a yell ''bigw'' will be glad to take you.
cheers
Adrian

bigwatkins

Post by bigwatkins » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:36 pm

Sounds great i might just take you up on that

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:03 am

bigwatkins wrote:Sounds great i might just take you up on that
Feel free to do so bigw.. :thumbsup:

The start of the season is looking like it's going to be a very wet one as we have been hit with a lot of very poor weather. Winds up to 174kms per hour across several parts of Tassie and heaps of rain.
Many rivers are in flood and there's more on the way right up too Friday at this stage. So it looks like I'll be dangling a few worms in a back water nearby in the Mersey River. The Photo below is how last season started off with the Mersey breaking it's banks. Good well conditioned browns are the go in these conditions too.
cheers
Adrian
Attachments
1.2 kg Mersey Brown-1 (Medium).jpg
Area of water that gave up 720gm brown (Medium).jpg

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:11 pm

Being nth tas, do u ever see any of this giant crays about.
Would love to see one in person.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:21 pm

Drifta-X wrote:Being nth tas, do u ever see any of this giant crays about.
Would love to see one in person.
yes I have Drifta, several times when fishing the smaller streams I come across them moving up a river in the shallows. The small streams that I fish are in very secluded areas that not too many people bother to fish, though I have found a few traps set in them from time to time. I remove them and destroy the traps as it is illegal to catch the crays here in Tassie and there is a $10,000 fine for each cray your caught with. They have been cleaned out in many rivers across Tasmania. It's some thing that you don't see too often in the larger rivers now days either.
cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”