Another Top Day On The Mersey River.

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Another Top Day On The Mersey River.

Post by meppstas » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:08 pm

ANOTHER TOP DAY ON THE MERSEY RIVER.'' 18-3-15

When I checked outside this morning the weather conditions looked even better for trout fishing than yesterday. It was misty, mild air temp, no wind and very low cloud cover. There was only one problem, my body was still sore from yesterdays session in the river. So it looks like it will have to be another late afternoon fish instead. I headed off just after 2.00pm intending to fish the Kimberley spot that I frequently fish but found some one was already there when I arrived. Well onto another of my fishing spots I went only to find another vehicle parked there. So I decided to do something I never do and that's go and fish the same area that I fished the day before. It was either that or head on some 20 or so kilometres further upstream which I didn't want to do. The cloud had now lifted, sun is out and the wind had really picked up. This means the river will be in full sun now.. Totally different conditions now to what I wanted.

I started off in the same spot as yesterday and this time with a new Rapala brown trout model to start the session off. It took several casts to a small pocket on the edge of the fast water before I finally had my first take of the day, a nice solid 470gm brown. Another good start to the session. I then decided to change to a small #00 black fury (black blade) spinner to see if this would work today in the bright conditions as it has done in the past. It did as over the next two stretches of river I caught and released seven browns from eight hook ups. These were all nice well conditioned fish too though some were a little smaller than yesterdays browns. The best going 460gms and the smallest 320gms.

The next run didn't give up a fish so I moved into a run of water that was covered by the overhanging willow branches. This small thirty meter covered section was going to be pretty tight fishing and accuracy was going to be the key of catching a fish or a willow branch. A lot of the casting here was going to be backhand casting too. Well it all went to plan as I didn't get into any willow branches, plus I did pick up another four nice browns here. I was now back into the main stream which was all fast water and spotted a small flat pocket of water under the willows. A backhand flick of the spinner into it resulted in another take from a solid brown. After taking a photo and releasing the fish, I thought how the day's fishing has turned out much better than I expected it to. I had now caught and released thirteen browns from fourteen hook ups. That's a better catch rate than yesterday's session.

My aim now was to see if I can better yesterdays catch. I was now at the last section of river that I fished yesterday and this gave up trout number fourteen, I had at least equalled yesterdays catch. Now surely I can beat that total with ease! It didn't turn out to be as easy as I thought it would be as it took me another forty minutes before I finally had number fifteen in the net. In that time I hadn't had any follows or hits either. I fished on for another twenty minutes before I caught two more trout, one brown and a small (260gm) rainbow. It was then I decided enough was enough and called it a day. I did managed to catch more than yesterday in the end and in much tougher fishing conditions too which I was happy happy with. The session certainly turned out better than expected that's for sure even though the trout sizes were a little smaller than yesterday. Seventeen trout from eighteen hook ups, doesn't get any better than that I suppose and the little Mepps black fury did the job in style too. Today's catch brings my season catch to 351 fish which is higher than this time last

cheers
Adrian
Attachments
Much brighter condititions on the Mersey River. (18-3-15) (Medium).JPG
Brown taken on the brown trout Rapala today. Mersey River.(18-3-15) (Medium).JPG
Brown taken from under the bush on LHS, Mersey River.(18-3-15) (Medium).JPG
Beautifully coloured Mersey River brown.(18-3-15) (Medium).JPG
Four brown caught under the willows, Mersey River.(18-3-15) (Medium).JPG
Black fury catches another solid brown, Mersey River.(18-3-15) (Medium).JPG
Flat water under the willows, brown caught there. Mersey River.(18-3-15) (Medium).JPG
Trout number 17 for the day.Mersey River.(18-3-15) (Medium).JPG
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

muzza43
Has liked: 104 times

Re: Another Top Day On The Mersey River.

Post by muzza43 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:16 pm

Im jealous, great stuff as usual Adrian . Cheers muzza43.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:16 pm

muzza43 wrote:Im jealous, great stuff as usual Adrian . Cheers muzza43.
Thanks muzza, it's been a couple of pretty good stints that's for sure..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:04 pm

So is this influencing your choice for Sunday's Pirtek Challenge? I hope you haven't 'peaked' early! :)
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

sandef
Has liked: 55 times

Post by sandef » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:21 pm

plenty of good 2kg plus fish in woods on mudeye

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:56 am

sandef wrote:plenty of good 2kg plus fish in woods on mudeye
That's right there are, most highland lakes etc hold good size trout.. But I only ever fish the rivers, never have been into lake fishing at all.
A mate of mine (Berkleybasher) is heading up there this weekend fishing.... :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:02 am

Another ripper of a report mate, look forward to reading everytime you post!

Return to “Tasmania”