Eden

New South Wales Fishing Reports
All ways fishin

Eden

Post by All ways fishin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi guys/girls
I’m heading to Eden :water: next week with the family for two weeks are the flathead still good around Boyd’s tower?
We were bagging out on them before Xmas, the kids want to have a fish this time so didn’t want to go any further than halfway between Boyd’s tower and Mowarry pt.
Any gummies or any other sharks around Eden ? The wife wants a feed of fresh flake :)
Cheers

Sinsemilla

Re: Eden

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:33 pm

There were good flatties about when i was there a couple weeks ago. Right in the middle of the bay as you're heading out in around 25 odd meters. Heaps of bait too. huge amounts of slimies and couta.

I guy i spoke to said he was fishing for reef species near Greencape and a nice sized mako came and started circling the boat. They threw a bait at him and got him.

I'd say head off mowarry in about 50m on a calm day and get the burley going. Bottom bounce while waiting for a mako to come along.

Cheers, Anth

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:56 pm

I read flathead action has been excellent with the 35mt mark. Getting your bags of fresh fillets hasn’t been to hard with the majority of fish being sandies with the odd bigger tiger thrown in. There’s been a few gummy sharks caught in the same areas with snappet being a little sporadic at present on the reefs but plenty of morwong available

All ways fishin

Post by All ways fishin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:There were good flatties about when i was there a couple weeks ago. Right in the middle of the bay as you're heading out in around 25 odd meters. Heaps of bait too. huge amounts of slimies and couta.

I guy i spoke to said he was fishing for reef species near Greencape and a nice sized mako came and started circling the boat. They threw a bait at him and got him.

I'd say head off mowarry in about 50m on a calm day and get the burley going. Bottom bounce while waiting for a mako to come along.

Cheers, Anth
Thanx I might give mowarry a go on a calm day, hopefully not to windy. I heard it’s been windy up there lately....

Cheers

All ways fishin

Post by All ways fishin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:02 pm

smile0784 wrote:I read flathead action has been excellent with the 35mt mark. Getting your bags of fresh fillets hasn’t been to hard with the majority of fish being sandies with the odd bigger tiger thrown in. There’s been a few gummy sharks caught in the same areas with snappet being a little sporadic at present on the reefs but plenty of morwong available
That’s good the kids will love it if flatties are still going strong...and maybe a spapper or moey give em a good buckling rod to fight

Cheers

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:39 pm

All ways fishin wrote:
smile0784 wrote:I read flathead action has been excellent with the 35mt mark. Getting your bags of fresh fillets hasn’t been to hard with the majority of fish being sandies with the odd bigger tiger thrown in. There’s been a few gummy sharks caught in the same areas with snappet being a little sporadic at present on the reefs but plenty of morwong available
That’s good the kids will love it if flatties are still going strong...and maybe a spapper or moey give em a good buckling rod to fight

Cheers
That's the spirit! While the kids are having fun filling the esky, it wouldn't hurt to put a big bait out under a balloon. You just never know...and I'm sure the kids would get some excitement out of it if the big bait gets a hit ;) Best of luck!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:05 pm

Good luck mate
Hopefully you amd the kids have fun and catch a few.

Tight lines

All ways fishin

Post by All ways fishin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Redhunter wrote:
All ways fishin wrote:

Cheers
That's the spirit! While the kids are having fun filling the esky, it wouldn't hurt to put a big bait out under a balloon. You just never know...and I'm sure the kids would get some excitement out of it if the big bait gets a hit ;) Best of luck!
Cheers I just bought some balloons the other day never used them before but I’ll see how I will go
Thanks

skifalls
Has liked: 1 time

Post by skifalls » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:14 pm

I was up at Eden from the 19th to 26th Jan, had a great time and was annoyed having to head home in the long weekend.

Heres my belated report;

- if you heading out wide to the FAD there are plenty of dollies around but they were very finicky and would only take (smash) smaller livies. Note they are a little small at the moment between 50 with the largest we caught and kept being 65. Great fight though on light gear
- getting livies in the usual places near the chip mill or navy wharf was hard going, plague proportions of Leatherjackets and Sweep around and we were getting 1 in 5 livies of mixed size to the rubbish fish
- very quiet on the squid and had no success around the old cannery, chip mill or main wharf
- plenty of reef fish about out front around Leonard’s Island and generally any area with reef
- there were zero reports of kings for the duration of our trip (that I saw on tables or heard via park and grapevine. which happened to coincide with the national sp at fishing competition

Plenty of flatties around where you find sandy bottom

One thing to do is to try prawning with the kids, we had a go when the moon was at 17% and got 4 decent sizes, if your up there closer to or on a full moon it would be worthwhile

skifalls
Has liked: 1 time

Post by skifalls » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:20 pm

Any some pics
EB4E9EF8-F7CE-49F0-853F-F2167D0DCBB4.jpeg
0835264F-EC3C-4029-991A-26CB797FE733.jpeg

Return to “New South Wales”