Pambula/Merimbula/Tathra

New South Wales Fishing Reports
nooga27

Pambula/Merimbula/Tathra

Post by nooga27 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:00 am

Hey all!
Hope everyone's been getting onto some good fish recently.

I'm currently in the car heading up to Pambula for a week and looking for some spots (especially for tonight)! I've been up there a fair bit so no some good spots like tathra/Merimbula wharf, Pambula mouth, haycocks, etc. but have never done much night fishing there.

I would love to have a crack at mulloway tonight so if anyone could recommend a spot for them in the Merimbula/Pambula area that would be sweet! I assume haycocks beach would have a chance??

Does anyone know if Pambula beach fishes well at night? Because that would make it very easy! Also heard that Merimbula lake has been holding a few Jews at the moment. But I'm not quite sure!

If anyone has any advice for me to catch some good fish that would be great!!

Tight lines!
Red sky at night, Fisherman's delight

Nuscani

Re: Pambula/Merimbula/Tathra

Post by Nuscani » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:07 pm

I haven't got any advice for you regarding catch mulloway, but for beach fishing at night i highly recommend using pilchards for bait :-D

Good Luck mate!! :water:

efendy

Post by efendy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:30 pm

If you like tailor you can use full pilchard on ganged hooks under a squid float (put a light stick on it) at tathra or merimbula wharfs. if they are there you should get plenty. You can also try a yakka under a ballon or squid float for a possible kingy. Apart from Haycock point, thatra beach should produce tailor and salmon day and night.
I miss the place so much but I can't go :(
Enjoy!

efendy

Post by efendy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:33 pm

Also, pilchard under float should get you nice tailors under the merimbula bridge, especially at this time of the year...

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:57 am

How have you gone at Haycocks? Cam and I had a look at the beach and then the headland there but didnt' get any success, fantastic looking spot.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:33 am

There's a little beach at the mouth of the Pambula River on the opposite side called Barmouth Beach. It holds some cracking fish at night. The river channels hard up against the beach and is the deepest part of the mouth. Anything going in or out of the river passes through that channel, including predators feeding on the transient fish...!

You can also try Terrace Beach or Leonards Island near Eden. It's great for big Whiting and squid off the beach, also known for Kingy's and other large species off the rocks.

nooga27

Post by nooga27 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks for all the replies guys! Fishing a been pretty solid up here the last couple days. Ended up fishing Bega river at night as the river entrance to the ocean has been closed recently and I heard of large numbers of mulloway being caught. Didn't get any runs but managed my PB flatty at 80cm (released of course).

Haven't been to haycocks yet but I hear it's been going well off the rocks for big tailor and salmon.

Greggo that Barmouth beach is our 'secret spot' - such an amazing spot, have never been there without catching a decent bag. But I've never fished it at night, is there some bigger fish the like mulloway?

Will keep reporting back here!

Cheers!
Red sky at night, Fisherman's delight

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:34 am

Congrats on your PB flattie mate. 80cm. That's a beauty :thumbsup:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:24 am

nooga27 wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys! Fishing a been pretty solid up here the last couple days. Ended up fishing Bega river at night as the river entrance to the ocean has been closed recently and I heard of large numbers of mulloway being caught. Didn't get any runs but managed my PB flatty at 80cm (released of course).

Haven't been to haycocks yet but I hear it's been going well off the rocks for big tailor and salmon.

Greggo that Barmouth beach is our 'secret spot' - such an amazing spot, have never been there without catching a decent bag. But I've never fished it at night, is there some bigger fish the like mulloway?

Cheers!
80cm...nice...(photos or it didn't happen ;-)

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:11 am

Mattblack wrote:
nooga27 wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys! Fishing a been pretty solid up here the last couple days. Ended up fishing Bega river at night as the river entrance to the ocean has been closed recently and I heard of large numbers of mulloway being caught. Didn't get any runs but managed my PB flatty at 80cm (released of course).

Cheers!
80cm...nice...(photos or it didn't happen ;-)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: someone had to say it.
Thats a cracker of a fish mate well done.

Return to “New South Wales”