NSW Mud Crab

New South Wales Fishing Reports
matt1991

Re: NSW Mud Crab

Post by matt1991 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:27 am

rixter wrote:
matt1991 wrote:How i would love to catch some crabs :P

In all honestly though I wish there was places you could catch them in VIC without having to put out pots.
Yeah, not many crabs out in vic these days that walk the mangroves of a night. They were all green crabs and sandcrabs anyway , never got really big. Used to be a lot around flinders point , but mostly all gone now. The once now and again blue spinner crabs which are nice , but not many there .
We used to get huge spider crabs ( not those little bait soldier ones ) off the Rye or Portsea pier each year ( was one or the other , I can't remember ) . They would come in once a year just after winter and there was thousands of them around the pier , all good size too..
Unfortunately no mud crabs down south, reason I feel so spoilt here , huge crabs all the time. :a_goodjob:

Here's another one to the collection I got today dropping a pot while I was working ( 1 pot was out there for 4 hrs ) , got 2 females and this male , let the females go . This one weighed in just under 1kg , 978 grams . Cheers.
WP_20170106_14_35_49_Pro.jpg

I remember catching a heap of those spider crabs but i was always told they were a pest and that you cant eat them. Now that you mention Flinders, i remember the days i use to fish the pier with the old man and see people looking for crabs on the low tied on the beach!

rixter

Post by rixter » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:31 am

shazdoggg wrote:Welcome back Rixter!

After eating mudcrabs, blue swimmers just don't cut it anymore!

Do you eat it with any sauce or plain? Chilli mudcrab is really popular in Malaysia and Singapore! You should try it for yourself if you haven't already! My other favourites are baked mudcrab with indian curry leaf, butter crab, steamed crab with spring onion and ginger! I love crab so much, that when I travel to Malaysia I make sure I travel to Pulau Ketam(crab island) off the coast of Port Klang to feast on the massive muddies the island is famed for. Well worth a visit!

If you ever have to many muddies, I don't mind taking a few off your hands to help you out!! haha
G'day Shazdoggg, thanks for the welcome back, good to see your still on here too .
I can eat mud crab plain , with sauce , chilli, buttered , smoked , with whatever....I've had it just about every way and it all tastes good , I love my crab meat too ;) .

I get heaps of spares and throw a lot back as I like them fresh and can get them each day. Shame your not up here in North NSW or i'de pass the extra's onto you. Bit far to ship them back to vic though ....Hmmm , maybe ? / on ice in a foam box ? , lol . :a_goodjob:
Cheers mate

rixter

Post by rixter » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:36 am

matt1991 wrote:
rixter wrote:

In all honestly though I wish there was places you could catch them in VIC without having to put out pots.
Yeah, not many crabs out in vic these days that walk the mangroves of a night. They were all green crabs and sandcrabs anyway , never got really big. Used to be a lot around flinders point , but mostly all gone now. The once now and again blue spinner crabs which are nice , but not many there .
We used to get huge spider crabs ( not those little bait soldier ones ) off the Rye or Portsea pier each year ( was one or the other , I can't remember ) . They would come in once a year just after winter and there was thousands of them around the pier , all good size too..
Unfortunately no mud crabs down south, reason I feel so spoilt here , huge crabs all the time. :a_goodjob:

Here's another one to the collection I got today dropping a pot while I was working ( 1 pot was out there for 4 hrs ) , got 2 females and this male , let the females go . This one weighed in just under 1kg , 978 grams . Cheers.
WP_20170106_14_35_49_Pro.jpg

I remember catching a heap of those spider crabs but i was always told they were a pest and that you cant eat them. Now that you mention Flinders, i remember the days i use to fish the pier with the old man and see people looking for crabs on the low tied on the beach!
G'day mate , those big spider crabs are really good eating, lots of sweet crab meat in them too. When they came around the pier each year, they were coming in to malt the old shells for the year, so you had to get onto them fast soon as they got in , or they went soft not long after dropping the old shells and had not much meat in them. I'm not even sure if they still come in each year around there to malt the shells ?. Cheers.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:12 am

The crabs are still in PPB. I was snorkelling 2 weeks back off Sorrento and pulled the boat up over what looked like a reefy section in about 3m. Jumped over the side and there was no reef, just thousands and thousands of crabs writhing on the bottom. I caught one to show the folks on the boat that were too wuss to have a snorkel but didn't try to eat it. They all had bodies about the size of a tea cup saucer. I could have caught 1000+ if I wanted but was happy just to look at them in amazement.

Last Thursday I was snorkelling again and came across a lone crab and grabbed him as he had big claws and thick legs. Would be about 45cm stretched out. I have cleaned him and put in freezer till I cook next week. Seems to be plenty of meat on him.

rixter

Post by rixter » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:16 pm

skronkman wrote:The crabs are still in PPB. I was snorkelling 2 weeks back off Sorrento and pulled the boat up over what looked like a reefy section in about 3m. Jumped over the side and there was no reef, just thousands and thousands of crabs writhing on the bottom. I caught one to show the folks on the boat that were too wuss to have a snorkel but didn't try to eat it. They all had bodies about the size of a tea cup saucer. I could have caught 1000+ if I wanted but was happy just to look at them in amazement.

Last Thursday I was snorkelling again and came across a lone crab and grabbed him as he had big claws and thick legs. Would be about 45cm stretched out. I have cleaned him and put in freezer till I cook next week. Seems to be plenty of meat on him.
Good to hear they still come in, Sorrento is pretty close to Portsea and Rye. It probably was the larger spider crabs, their bodies usually are about the size of a full tea saucer plate, but really long thick legs too with lots of meat in them..... 20+ years back , not sure how big they are now ?. The nice big lone crab you got might of been a blue spinner crab ? , or a 'very big' sand crab ?, are all good eating too .Cheers

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:41 am

Lambys in geelong
Orange Whip in Ringwood
Most places in the city
Tinder

Plenty of places to get crabs mate.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:50 am

ducky wrote:

Lambys in geelong
Orange Whip in Ringwood
Most places in the city
Tinder

Plenty of places to get crabs mate.
Anywhere in Dandenong....lol...

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Dandenong? Pah. It's the Toorak of the South East mate. Nothing bad happens here.

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:25 am

If i ever come across them again I am going to give them a crack.

Return to “New South Wales”