Dealing with the Hazards Monday 22 August

New South Wales Fishing Reports
Downrigger

Dealing with the Hazards Monday 22 August

Post by Downrigger » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:33 am

With this winter bedeviled by rain, winds and storm cells you’ve got to go whenever weather permits. And when I looked at the forecast for yesterday it was pretty obvious Monday was the day:

Down to Roseville boat ramp yesterday morning and meeting Murray and Mark – two fishos so keen they’d driven down from the Hunter for the day. Eastward ho! With a stop at the Centurion wreck for live bait (successful) and a stop at the Peak for a quick jig session (unsuccessful.) Out to Browns Mountain and stopped on the top while we rigged up and baited the Tanacom 750. As usual, the top of the plateau was as bare as a badgers’ backside:

But a scan of the humps and bumps showed where the fish were hiding:

Down went the baits and within 30 seconds this beauty hooked up:

A couple more drops and we found a patch of gemfish:

Despite the forecast for good weather all day, with a light northerly in the afternoon, the wind was starting to pick up fast from the west. Storm cells darkening the sky, to the point where I took off my sunglasses. I made the error of staying on point for a couple more drops despite alarm bells going off from the wind building fast from an unpredicted direction. By the time we finally bailed it was into the teeth of a nasty chop with breaking waves at times and foam streaks across the sea surface.

To add insult to injury an icy cold rain fell on us most of the way back. Three hours back to the boat ramp and chilled to the bone, despite all three of us wearing wet weather gear. A good lesson for all about following the reality, rather than the forecast. Having said that I had a great day and looking forward to doing it all again as soon as the weather clears.
Cheers,
Andy

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Dealing with the Hazards Monday 22 August

Post by Lightningx » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:25 am

Great report mate. Love the pics. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:00 pm

Those Gemfish look like Fatter, angrier couta.....Carl better watch out.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Downrigger

Post by Downrigger » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

Lightningx wrote:Great report mate. Love the pics. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:
you're very welcome mate and don't forget there's a spot aboard whenever you're over this way.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:22 pm

Downrigger wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Great report mate. Love the pics. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:
you're very welcome mate and don't forget there's a spot aboard whenever you're over this way.
Cheers mate will keep that in mind. Appreciate it :P

Return to “New South Wales”