Quick Kingie Sesh Friday 15th July

New South Wales Fishing Reports
Downrigger

Quick Kingie Sesh Friday 15th July

Post by Downrigger » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:34 pm

Out for a quick one yesterday afternoon with the plan – as always – based on what the weather was doing. After nearly a week of big swells and relentless westerlies I was pretty confident we could find a few kingfish on the deep reefs simply because they’d had little pressure. But in case they weren’t hitting the jigs the plan was, take some live bait as back up.

Easier said than done. After thirty minutes or more we had three in the tank – despite good mark, showing on the sounder. Down to the backup live bait spot but just as quiet there. Met up with these blokes at the Fridge. They had some nice arrow squid and were just about to set off for a downrigging session. Don’t know how that went but hopefully they found a few:

Out to the Peak - a renowned kingfish producing rref, seven miles east of Maroubra. But it certainly wasn’t producing yesterday. Callum, and Tom the new guy, were jigging hard. But no matter how many favourite marks I checked no good shows could be found. Out to the Nine Mile, where it was the same story. On to the Twelve with the sun heading for the horizon fast. With the current coming from the south we started at the southern end. Down went the 250 gram jigs and Tom said calmly he was on. Looking around his rod was barely bent.

So I figured the fish was way undersized. Then, it took off like a top fueler dragster. After an intense battle Tom bought this nice 90cm aboard.

His smile says it all:

Just thirty minutes daylight left so it was time to head for home. Really glad to put Tom onto his first king and, now that the weather’s finally settling down, looking forward to next weeks’ run, Andrew

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Quick Kingie Sesh Friday 15th July

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:51 pm

Great report mate! That's an awesome kingie for his first one :thumbsup:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:23 am

Nice work love kingies

Downrigger

Post by Downrigger » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:37 am

Lightningx wrote:Great report mate! That's an awesome kingie for his first one :thumbsup:
I'll try posting the video up tomorrow. You can see him shaking his sore arm. These young puppies! I feel like the Duke in 'The Cowboys', sometimes.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:49 am

Great kingie

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:43 am

Hi there Andrew - nice tackle tester there

just wondering how are the spoon jigs heads going - i rang you a while back ( Jan I think ) and you were having some supply issues , I see they still aren't on the web site

late September we are off to Pt Augusta again - last year we had trouble getting live squid or livies in general - the other problem is the squid grounds do not seam as close to the power station when you paddle there and back a few times ( no motor )
keeping squid alive is also not as much fun with out a good live well again there's little room for one on board

any way I was just wondering
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:56 am

Downrigger wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Great report mate! That's an awesome kingie for his first one :thumbsup:
I'll try posting the video up tomorrow. You can see him shaking his sore arm. These young puppies! I feel like the Duke in 'The Cowboys', sometimes.
Haha :rofl:
Looking forward to watching it mate :thumbsup:

Downrigger

Post by Downrigger » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:27 pm

cheaterparts wrote:Hi there Andrew - nice tackle tester there

just wondering how are the spoon jigs heads going - i rang you a while back ( Jan I think ) and you were having some supply issues , I see they still aren't on the web site

late September we are off to Pt Augusta again - last year we had trouble getting live squid or livies in general - the other problem is the squid grounds do not seam as close to the power station when you paddle there and back a few times ( no motor )
keeping squid alive is also not as much fun with out a good live well again there's little room for one on board

any way I was just wondering
Arriving 21st July (thank Heavens!) Sorry to test your patience, Andrew

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:00 pm

Downrigger wrote:Arriving 21st July (thank Heavens!) Sorry to test your patience, Andrew
Thanks Andrew I will chase some up later in the month and see if we can trick some big SA tackle testers to take them
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “New South Wales”