need help with general reel maintainence

Dano

need help with general reel maintainence

Post by Dano » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:39 pm

so a couple of months ago, being the idiot i am. i went surf fishing with my good rod. and got the whole reel submerge in water. so when i got home, i took it apart and washed the whole thing with water. now the when i crank the handle it makes noises, where do i grease so it likes box condition again.

anth2013

Re: need help with general reel maintainence

Post by anth2013 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:55 pm

Dano wrote:so a couple of months ago, being the idiot i am. i went surf fishing with my good rod. and got the whole reel submerge in water. so when i got home, i took it apart and washed the whole thing with water. now the when i crank the handle it makes noises, where do i grease so it likes box condition again.
Dont wash with water if went in the water,clean with turp,water will rust ,for noisey more likely could be bearings,some movement parts inside...for best u do is put grease on moving parts and bearings and spool

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:00 pm

Is it a spin reel? I youtube reels according to brands. Most of my reels a shimanos so they are all quite similar. Easy to clean. But if you have rust on your bearings and gears....might be worth replacing it.

Dano

Post by Dano » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:07 pm

seephil wrote:Is it a spin reel? I youtube reels according to brands. Most of my reels a shimanos so they are all quite similar. Easy to clean. But if you have rust on your bearings and gears....might be worth replacing it.
yeah its a jarvis walker spin reel. how do i get rid of the sand in it? whats the best way to wipe it off? and where do i get the grease.

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Go To your local angling shop or Anaconda/BCf and pick up some grease and oil.
To get rid of the sand? where is the sand? If the sand is near the pinion gears... you should replace the reel. If its under the rotor before the the drag, it should be ok to wipe it off.
Might be a good idea to download the schematics of that reel from JW to strip your whole reel down and reassemble it.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:48 pm

To be honest mate it will be cheaper to replace the Jarvis walker reel with a new one than it will be to get it completely serviced and running smoothly again. Chances are now that is is grindy that youve done irreparable damage to parts and no matter what you do or replace it will never be the same again. Take it as a lesson and be glad it wasn't a really expensive reel.

adtrac

Post by adtrac » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:06 pm

The grinding can be sand in the actual clutch. I have had this happen but a full disassemble and thorough clean with something like wd40 all purpose cleaner and degreaser then regrease and reassemble. As mentioned before you can usually get the reel schematic online if you are having troubles reassembling. Did both my Penn 750ssm recently and they both had sand in them but they are sweet as now after doing this.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:27 pm

If you are going to have a crack at doing it yourself download the schematics as you pull it apart place each piece on a cloth take a photo each piece clean all the parts in kero/white spirit once dry reassemble in the reverse order of the photo's.you can buy reel oil and grease from most tackle shops.grease on the gears oil on the bearings/bushes light spray of wd40 inside reel housing. Jarvis walker reels are pretty straight forward.

Dano

Post by Dano » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:14 pm

alright thanks guys, ive decided to get a new reel. the reel has too many parts to pull apart

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:21 pm

i advise using wd40 instead of degreaser. if there are plastic parts degreaser might damage them. wd40 for cleaning and fresh grease should work

Return to “Rod building or repair”