rod making process

ncr1

Re: rod making process

Post by ncr1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks for the response frozenpod. I think you're spot on, built on the backbone, reel seat and grips where you want them, and a rod that is correctly balanced for the exact reel you're going to be using are some of the biggest advantages that custom builders can bring. I guess there is also that demand out there for something very individual that will last generations.

But it's certainly an interesting conversation to see where people draw the line between a true custom built rod, and when the term 'custom' is simply used as a marketing ploy. Here's a classic example from fleabay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SAMBO-CSDII- ... 169&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Custom? Really???

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 pm

ncr1 wrote:Thanks for the response frozenpod. I think you're spot on, built on the backbone, reel seat and grips where you want them, and a rod that is correctly balanced for the exact reel you're going to be using are some of the biggest advantages that custom builders can bring. I guess there is also that demand out there for something very individual that will last generations.

But it's certainly an interesting conversation to see where people draw the line between a true custom built rod, and when the term 'custom' is simply used as a marketing ploy. Here's a classic example from fleabay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SAMBO-CSDII- ... 169&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Custom? Really???
As you said NCR1 there are definitely companies which will try and sell stuff and twist the meaning of a word. Anything which is mass produced to a fixed specification is "out of the box" and not customised.

To me a customised rod is where I work with a builder to specify my requirements and what I want the rod to do then the builder will work to that specification. This could be from a fixed design which is used as a base and tweaked.

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:25 am

[/quote]As you said NCR1 there are definitely companies which will try and sell stuff and twist the meaning of a word. Anything which is mass produced to a fixed specification is "out of the box" and not customised.

To me a customised rod is where I work with a builder to specify my requirements and what I want the rod to do then the builder will work to that specification. This could be from a fixed design which is used as a base and tweaked.[/quote]

Thanks poodoo, that's pretty much my interpretation too.

Return to “Rod building or repair”