Can this Rod be repaired?

CremeDeLaCreme
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CremeDeLaCreme » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi all,

Is it a minor problem and can the rod still safely be used?
It looks like a few small cracks have formed where the 2 pieces join.
emeraldas.jpg
emeraldas.jpg (103.8 KiB) Viewed 2051 times
Addicted to fishing since 1973

FishSamFish

Re: Can this Rod be repaired?

Post by FishSamFish » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Yes if it f.glass, doubt it if it's carbon, but the price you will pay to get it repaired may outweighs the costs of replacing it. Try get it on warranty, get a quote else, new rod.
Go check armada lie angler, it's where iget rods repaired since I have a knack of breaking them.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:20 pm

yes the rod can be repaired
there may be some splitting in the female part of the join , but you wont know til you take the thread off the blank and have a look .
the cracks you see are in the epoxy coating
all you can do to fix it is take the old thread off and rebind the join ........ it may pay to bind it a bit further up than it goes at the moment to increase the strength of it .
good luck with it

cheers kiwi

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:45 pm

It looks like its only the thread & epoxy , if theres no damage to the blank , then it can easily & cheaply be repaired . Take it to your local tackle shop , they can advise you .

Jeffs_gone_fishing

Post by Jeffs_gone_fishing » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Yeah, looks like Miker's right, just the poxy on the binding has come off.
Trim the loose stuff off and get a 2 part epoxy glue and smear around the area, just be careful not to get any on the inside of the ferule.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:32 pm

No need to spend a lots of money repairing it.

heat the epoxy lightly then slice it off with the knife together with the theads. Careful not to heat it too much as you may damaged the rod. Or you can just scrape off the old expoy and binding slowly and carefully. Once done, wrap a new binding thread (I use my own thin braid fishing line). You may use superglue to secure the binding. Put clear epoxy on top of the new binding. Quick dry epoxy is best for the job as it will not drip.

even cut and cracked blanks can be repaired. I still use my 2 pc Starlo Stix flat spin that became 3 pcs when I tried to drag a sambo out of a gutter. Still works just fine.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Fish-cador wrote:No need to spend a lots of money repairing it.

heat the epoxy lightly then slice it off with the knife together with the theads. Careful not to heat it too much as you may damaged the rod. Or you can just scrape off the old expoy and binding slowly and carefully. Once done, wrap a new binding thread (I use my own thin braid fishing line). You may use superglue to secure the binding. Put clear epoxy on top of the new binding. Quick dry epoxy is best for the job as it will not drip.

even cut and cracked blanks can be repaired. I still use my 2 pc Starlo Stix flat spin that became 3 pcs when I tried to drag a sambo out of a gutter. Still works just fine.
Sound like a pro
U should be a rod repairs person :P :-) :-)

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:44 pm

yep fixable as they have said remove the threa and check the blank. if the blank is cracked then turn it into a 1 pc rod with some araldite!!

Flexcoat is the pro finish to make it look the same, Gudebrod Aqua metallic and Black metallic, and pearl if i am not wrong are the colours.

Let me know if you need info on sourcing any of these.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Messiah wrote:
Sound like a pro
U should be a rod repairs person :P :-) :-)

experience, experience, experience. Learned by trial and error at times and sometime just through plain creativity. :tongue: get you hands dirty rather than pay others to do the simple job. :tongue:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Return to “Rod building or repair”