Cork rod handle maintenance, repair and modification

Sinsemilla

Re: Cork rod handle maintenance, repair and modification

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:23 pm

rb85 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:59 pm
Love your work Anth
Am building a few rods at the moment which are slow going with work getting in the way.

Is there any reason you went the Epoxy from the rodworks instead of 24hour araldyte it may be something you can source a little cheaper.
I have found the rodworks fantastic in helping me select the right components. Might have to do a post on my next build.
Thanks mate. Make sure you put up some pictures of your work. Keen as to see it.

Because i already had it from when i fixed a loose reel seat on my Daiwa presso trout rod and I've found it to be really strong and pretty flexible for how hard it goes. It doesn't crack or peel back off the blank when flexed

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:39 pm
Gents,

I've been busy over the past couple of weeks (While the weather has been terrible..) servicing all my reels and repairing and modifying all my cork fishing rods.

After servicing a few of my reels (Daiwa Caldia 2500 magseal, Daiwa Sol 2500 non magseal, Daiwa Ballistic 4000 non magseal, 3 Abu ambassadeurs being a 5500 a 6500 c3 and a 6500 sports rocket, Daiwa 2000 Heartland non magseal) I thought i might as well give a few of my rods a freshen up.

One of my rods, being the Nitro viper has seen better days.. The end of the rod was all chewed out from being put on the ground so it needed a new end which i was going to replace with an EVA rod end so it would last a bit longer and also on my Nitro baby viper, I wanted to shorten the butt end because I've always felt it was too long. Also i wanted to fill, sand a re seal the grips on both of these and fill, sand and re seal my dads Gloomis fly rod.

I'm going to go through the process of what i did so if anyone on here wants to give it a go they know where to start.

First off i bought a few things off www.therodworks.com.au They have pretty much everything you need when it comes to rod repairs.

20190813_133559.jpg
20190813_133527.jpg
20190813_133541.jpg
Alps-Small-Coloured-Cork-Eva-Butt-Caps8.jpg
evabuttend.jpg

Once i received the stuff i ordered off therodworks.com.au i went to Bunnings and got a small fine bristle brush and some fine to really fine sand paper.

I started off by giving all the cork handles a really good clean with soap, warm water and the scourer side of a standard dish washing sponge.

Once they dried i proceeded to measure the overall length of both rod ends i was repairing (Firstly so i can make the Nitro Viper the same length it was, and secondly, So i know how much shorter to make the Nitro Baby Viper)

After i figured out how much i wanted to cut off the Baby Viper and how much i'd need to cut off the Viper to make it the same length with the new EVA butt end i very carefully marked where i needed to cut with a pencil and carefully cut through the cork going around slowly until i got close to the blank. Once i was close to the blank, i got a pair of pliers and carefully pinched at the cork until i broke it all away and exposed the blank.

Once i exposed the blank i gave it a fine sand just to clean off the old resin that was used to fix the cork.

I cut the blank of the Baby Viper with a Dremel and a fine blade to the desired length.

After i was happy with both rods i gave them another clean, taped them up with some blue painters tape and mixed up some of the 2 part ultimate epoxy, put it on both sides (on the blank and on the inside of the butt ends) and slowly pushed them together.
I cleaned off the excess epoxy with wet wipes and left it over night to set.

The next day i used the Roddancer Pit Paste to fill in all the cracks and holes in all the rods cork making sure there was enough on there to sand and left it for about an hour before i started sanding. I started off with a course sand paper and worked my way down to a really fine grit. Just make sure you don't go too hard with your sanding because the Pit Paste along with the cork is very easy to sand.

I gave the handles another clean and left them for the next day which is when i gave them a nice light coat of the U-40 Cork Seal. You only need to give it a light coat until it soaks into the cork and then brush any excess off.

After leaving it for the next day they came up perfect and were ready to use! I couldn't be happier with the way they came out.

20190723_154815.jpg
20190723_165912.jpg
20190813_134200.jpg
20190813_134006.jpg

A perfect little side project while the weather is crappy and the fishing is slow. I hope this helps anyone who needs it.

Cheers, Anth
Great effort mate

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:29 pm

Really nice work Anth!
Thanks for the detailed write up mate.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:44 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Great effort mate
Lightningx wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:29 pm
Really nice work Anth!
Thanks for the detailed write up mate.
Cheers :thumbsup:
Cheers, It was my pleasure.

Anth

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:16 pm
Texas wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:57 pm
Good job Anth,
When you service your reels what oil & grease do you use ????
Last time I greased mine I used automotive axle grease, maybe a bit of overkill, but it worked
Recently I brought 10 rods with seven reels, all old & some needing repair
Need to teach myself to repair the rods though
Cheers Gra
Cheers Gra,

I use a few different products.

Daiwa reel grease on older reels gears and bush’s because it's a bit thicker which you can get from BCF or Anaconda.
daiwa_reel_greaser.jpg

Daiwa reel oil on things like shafts and bearings to keep them moving smoothly and freely which you can also get from BCF and Anaconda.
daiwareeloil.jpg

Inox reel grease on gears and bush’s on newer reels because it's a touch thinner than the daiwa grease which i get off ebay.
Inox reel grease.jpg

Cal's drag grease because it's the perfect viscosity for drags. It makes your drag a lot smother than normal grease. I get this from https://ausfishingtackle.com.au/en/
cal_t1oz.jpg

I also buy carbon sheets in the thicknesses i need from https://ausfishingtackle.com.au/en/ and cut them myself for my drags.

Anth
Thanks heaps Anth

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:02 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:53 pm
Were you happy with the way yours came out? Whats your reasons for liking cork over EVA?
I don't mind EVA but in the case of the Veritas the grip contains a metal spacer close to where I place my thumb. When flinging out really heavy lures or leaning back on a big cod when the foam compresses and the ring is felt and can actually hurt. As I like the feel of cork when I stripped the old grip off I went the way off cork. And yes, I am very happy with it. Below is a pic of old faithful on the right with its new grip and my back up Veritas as new on the left:
new grip.jpg
Texas wrote:
Graham, like you I use a few old reels. For oil I use ReelX and like Anthony I recommend Cals grease for Drags. For reel gears I use a Daiwa grease.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Texas wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks heaps Anth
No worries Gra. Let us know how you go.

Anth

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:02 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:53 pm
Were you happy with the way yours came out? Whats your reasons for liking cork over EVA?
I don't mind EVA but in the case of the Veritas the grip contains a metal spacer close to where I place my thumb. When flinging out really heavy lures or leaning back on a big cod when the foam compresses and the ring is felt and can actually hurt. As I like the feel of cork when I stripped the old grip off I went the way off cork. And yes, I am very happy with it. Below is a pic of old faithful on the right with its new grip and my back up Veritas as new on the left:

new grip.jpg

Best Wishes

Truedogz
I can see how that ring would annoy you. Those rings are sharp. I really like the feel of cork as well over EVA.

I actually really like the EVA cork mix on the top grip and natural cork on the butt section on the Veritas. It gives it that nice custom look

Anth

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:16 pm
Texas wrote:
Good job Anth,
Last time I greased mine I used automotive axle grease, maybe a bit of overkill, but it worked
Recently I brought 10 rods with seven reels, all old & some needing repair
Need to teach myself to repair the rods though
Cheers Gra
Cheers Gra,

I use a few different products.

Daiwa reel grease on older reels gears and bush’s because it's a bit thicker which you can get from BCF or Anaconda.
daiwa_reel_greaser.jpg

Daiwa reel oil on things like shafts and bearings to keep them moving smoothly and freely which you can also get from BCF and Anaconda.
daiwareeloil.jpg Great topic i have been using Protecta reel lubricant on my reel,s it,s pretty good

Inox reel grease on gears and bush’s on newer reels because it's a touch thinner than the daiwa grease which i get off ebay.
Inox reel grease.jpg

Cal's drag grease because it's the perfect viscosity for drags. It makes your drag a lot smother than normal grease. I get this from https://ausfishingtackle.com.au/en/
cal_t1oz.jpg

I also buy carbon sheets in the thicknesses i need from https://ausfishingtackle.com.au/en/ and cut them myself for my drags.

Anth

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:54 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:23 pm
rb85 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:59 pm
Love your work Anth
Am building a few rods at the moment which are slow going with work getting in the way.

Is there any reason you went the Epoxy from the rodworks instead of 24hour araldyte it may be something you can source a little cheaper.
I have found the rodworks fantastic in helping me select the right components. Might have to do a post on my next build.
Thanks mate. Make sure you put up some pictures of your work. Keen as to see it.

Because i already had it from when i fixed a loose reel seat on my Daiwa presso trout rod and I've found it to be really strong and pretty flexible for how hard it goes. It doesn't crack or peel back off the blank when flexed
Will do mate.

Fair enough the epoxy required for guides with brands such as flowcoat won't crack or peel. The requirements for grips etc isn't as critical from what I have learnt.

Return to “Rod building or repair”