DIY Oh yeah

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: DIY Oh yeah

Post by smile0784 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:18 pm

Yota wrote:Yeah I had a good close look and couldn’t see the threads, also the bottom edge is a bit wavy - unlike a thread wound end if you know what I mean.
Ha ha. That would be easier if I just heat shrink them in place and glue them up. I guess it wouldn’t be so strong though.
It you keep the thred tight and push it together with tweezers as you go, you can get it so close together cant see threw it

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:19 pm

Ill get one f the rods out of storage that my dad built and.you can see how a person at home can do it if they want too

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:33 pm

:thumbsup: Thanks smile
Only if it’s convenient

Cheers

walk the streams

Post by walk the streams » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:35 pm

I have built / repaired many rods over the years. If I can suggest the easiest way, without great expense that I found very effective. Place your spool of thread in a glass, to stop it rolling away on you, then take the thread and close an old phone book or similar on the thread to tension it. The more or less tension you need is simply adjusted by how much of the book you close on the thread, if that makes sense ? Then you can sit there with the rod in your lap and twirl away, use an old teaspoon or similar to keep threads pushed snug. A few coats of binding filler to preserve color and snug threads down, followed by a few coats of rod varnish or a two part epoxy. With a little practise you will be amazed at the quality you can achieve. Just be careful not to mix brands of filler and varnish as some are not compatible. Example if you use speed brand filler, then use speed brand varnish, if you use Erskine filler, use Erskine epoxy etc

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:32 pm

Thanks walk the streams, there’s nothing like experience.

Return to “Rod building or repair”