oh no

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

oh no

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:25 pm

The only problem with fishing out of queenscliff is the low bridge having to take all your rods out of the rocket launcher. I lent my rods up against the left hand seat as I was alone as I was getting out of the boat to get my trailer my foot slipped oh no I accidentally stood on the butt of my shimano ocea stickbait rod and broke anout 6 inches of the butt off.
15193811010610.jpg
I was devastated one of my favorite rods and expensive I made a few calls can't get a replacement, I spoke to a few mates and called in a few favors I had a piece of very hard light aluminium machined to fit inside the two halves then using some structural adhesive glued the two halves together
15193813932101.jpg
It just left a small grey band I left it for 7 days to fully cure I gave it a work out thursday and its all smiles

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Re: oh no

Post by meppstas » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:03 pm

Nice job looks great, now all you need it some black paint.. ;-)

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Good job. I went to hook up bait n tacjle in Ferntree gully to replace a rod tip eye.
The first time they put it on it broke again next trip because they didnt put enough glue on the tip.i went back and complained and they "fixed" it again whilst laugh saying its hard to get good help these days.
Went out 2 weeks after and lost a monster fish. Think it was a gummy. My rod tip eye twisted around causing my line to fray and resulted in me being snapped off.

Il never go to them again. The old guy milton was ok. The 2 young wankers that are there now are jerk offs.
I have since done the rod with super glue. Got told never to use super glue on a rod but its been fine for 4 trips so far.

F U Hookup

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:06 pm

Nicely done :thumbsup:

Duffman

Post by Duffman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:23 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:Good job. I went to hook up bait n tacjle in Ferntree gully to replace a rod tip eye.
The first time they put it on it broke again next trip because they didnt put enough glue on the tip.i went back and complained and they "fixed" it again whilst laugh saying its hard to get good help these days.
Went out 2 weeks after and lost a monster fish. Think it was a gummy. My rod tip eye twisted around causing my line to fray and resulted in me being snapped off.

Il never go to them again. The old guy milton was ok. The 2 young wankers that are there now are jerk offs.
I have since done the rod with super glue. Got told never to use super glue on a rod but its been fine for 4 trips so far.

F U Hookup
The reason for not using super glue is it's permanent. If the tip needs to be changed it will have to be cut off and you lose a part of the rod. Use any type of hot melt glue. The cheap refills for glue guns works fine. Melt a bit and roll it in to the tips tube and melt some onto the end of the rod. Heat the tip tube with a lighter and then give the bit on the rod a heat up and put the tip on. Try and get it straight. If it's not straight heat it up and have another go. :thumbsup:

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:05 pm

Duffman wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:Good job. I went to hook up bait n tacjle in Ferntree gully to replace a rod tip eye.

F U Hookup
The reason for not using super glue is it's permanent. If the tip needs to be changed it will have to be cut off and you lose a part of the rod. Use any type of hot melt glue. The cheap refills for glue guns works fine. Melt a bit and roll it in to the tips tube and melt some onto the end of the rod. Heat the tip tube with a lighter and then give the bit on the rod a heat up and put the tip on. Try and get it straight. If it's not straight heat it up and have another go. :thumbsup:
I went to an apparent pro and was let down with their cigarette lighter and glue.
The super glue has worked.
Permanent sticking is what i wanted in the first place. Hook up bait n tackle have serious issues if they cant fix a rod tip not once but twice.
Will never go there again

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:12 pm

:( nice repair, it's always the favorites that get damaged.

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Post by A-a-ron » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:21 am

Nice work, very good idea! I’m working in fibreglassing. If that was me, i’d see if I could fibreglass the break... I wonder if it’d work though, guessing it would but it’d make the area it’s broken a little fatter but you could try sand it back to be flush.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:12 am

Kool Job

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:11 am

Nude up wrote:The only problem with fishing out of queenscliff is the low bridge having to take all your rods out of the rocket launcher. I lent my rods up against the left hand seat as I was alone as I was getting out of the boat to get my trailer my foot slipped oh no I accidentally stood on the butt of my shimano ocea stickbait rod and broke anout 6 inches of the butt off.
15193811010610.jpg
I was devastated one of my favorite rods and expensive I made a few calls can't get a replacement, I spoke to a few mates and called in a few favors I had a piece of very hard light aluminium machined to fit inside the two halves then using some structural adhesive glued the two halves together
15193813932101.jpg
It just left a small grey band I left it for 7 days to fully cure I gave it a work out thursday and its all smiles

Impressive jobs mate

Return to “Rod building or repair”