Need Seajigger repair...

kaotay

Need Seajigger repair...

Post by kaotay » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:41 am

Hi there

I have a Daiwa Seajigger 305 10 foot rod which has the top 3 inches snapped off :(

Was feeling seriously undergunned at the Gunna salmon mayhem last Sunday without it.....

I'm guessing the top guide can be removed from the broken tip and set onto the rod, making it a 9.75 foot rod...

Looking for recommendations for rod repairers, I'm in the inner west (Kensington) area, don't mind a little travel if it's justified.

Thanks
Kaotay

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Need Seajigger repair...

Post by poodoo » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:45 am

Southern sports fishing in black rock do really good repairs, seen the job they did on fishingvic's egi rod and it was top notch.

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:24 pm

poodoo wrote:Southern sports fishing in black rock do really good repairs, seen the job they did on fishingvic's egi rod and it was top notch.
Thanks, will give them a call.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:10 am

take a photo of the break and post it here. Maybe you just need a new rod tip guide to fit on the "new" tip of the 9.75 ft rod. :-) I can donate the rod tip guide if the ones I have will fit.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:08 am

Fish-cador wrote:take a photo of the break and post it here. Maybe you just need a new rod tip guide to fit on the "new" tip of the 9.75 ft rod. :-) I can donate the rod tip guide if the ones I have will fit.
Thanks FC, Here's a pic. You can see an ever so slight change in the diameter of the shaft between the last guide and where the break is.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419383238.144643.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419383238.144643.jpg (295.35 KiB) Viewed 3836 times

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:13 am

just needs a new tip like fc said should not be much diffrence had to do it to one of my rods before could not tell the diffrence
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:50 am

heat up the rod tip under a candle light and gently twist the guide out to separate the broken part and the tip guide. Usually, there is enough clearance on the existing rod tip so your old rod tip may still fit in the now wider diameter. Please give it a try first. If it fits, buy an epoxy (Araldite) and secure the old guide. The red and silver bindings are just cosmetics.

If it does not fit because of the bigger diameter, you can either bring it to me in the eastern suburbs and I am sure I have a tip guide that will fit your rod. The trip to my place may not be worth the free tip guide so a visit to BCF or other tackle shops near you may be cheaper. Fuji rod guide cost $4.50 in BCF. Bring your rod and they can help you. Don't buy the glue in the tackle shops. Just buy Araldite. cheaper and you can always find a use for the left overs.

PM me if you want to bring it over.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

widgeon58

Post by widgeon58 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:51 am

As already said just remove the runner and araldite a new tip on, don't know about other expoxies but at least with Araldite its susceptible to steam so if at a later stage you need /want to replace the tip just steam it and then gently twist the old tip off. Have replaced a number of tips over the years and have always used Araldite, just get nervous when applying a naked flame to a rod to remove a tip, feel far more comfortable using steam.

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:04 am

Thanks all, a quick update...picked up a new fuji tip from BCF, and araldite. Lit a small flame under the old tip which burnt off the old epoxy and the old guide came off easily. Unfortunately couldn't reuse the guide as it would only go halfway (0.5mm) onto the tip. Preferred to avoid getting caught out eg at Gunnas with a loose tip so went with the new tip from BCF which slid on all the way.
Will see how this holds up, it's my first attempt at a rod repair. It will probably cop a hiding next time at Gunnas which will be a good acid test!

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

widgeon58

Post by widgeon58 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:39 am

Great to read kaotay, just let us all know how it goes in real life, not that I have any doubts it will not stand the test, but it's always a nice feeling when you fix something your self and then when it's put to the test you find it actually works well.

Return to “Rod building or repair”