Bugatti

Re: Cork rod handle maintenance, repair and modification

Post by Bugatti » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:32 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:09 pm
Bugatti wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:25 pm
Anth, you are the Dude.

Best DYI thread I have read. Very detailed, very informative and easy to follow. I always wondered how the cork grips were looked after.

I second the point about resin/glues. I try and steer away from any that aren't flexible, for any application.

Now, I'm going to intentionally forget all of it , as I'm a hack , , , , and if my rods and reels know how the right way to be looked after is, they are going to mutiny :o_0: . They do get cared for but I know I should do better. I do service my reels and rods regularly (as best as I can) but like I said, I'm a bit of a hack.

The only rod I have that has a cork grip (and old style wooden butt) is a Frankensteined rod that is my fav Gar Rod. I clean the cork up with , , , , stop reading and turn away now , , , , with a soaped up Dish Scourer. I'm hoping that in my twilight years, while I'm on the Jetty fishing for Gar, the young'ns then are going to say , , , , "man, those old blokes have got some old gear" , , , , I think there may even be some scales from my first garfish on that rod still :-D

Gar Frankenstien Rod.PNG

Cheers, Bugs
Cheers bugz. Nothing wrong with a dish sponge and some soapy water. Whatever gets the job done i say.

If you got the time give what I've done to mine a go. The grip will come up brand new! She'll be good for another 50 years ;)

Anth
Anth, you did get my mind ticking over. Might even do the wooden butt and re-tie-do the runners to more modern rather than the glass type , , , , too ol'school. I need a modern pimp to an Ol' Codger :-D

Cheers, Bugatti , , , , hopefully still a few miles to put on the clock :)

Return to “Rod building or repair”