Cork rod handle maintenance, repair and modification

rb85
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 2855
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean
Has liked: 140 times
Likes received: 189 times

Re: Cork rod handle maintenance, repair and modification

Post by rb85 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:55 pm

Texas wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:02 pm
rb85 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:59 pm
Love your work Anth
Am building a few rods at the moment which are slow going with work getting in the way.

Is there any reason you went the Epoxy from the rodworks instead of 24hour araldyte it may be something you can source a little cheaper.
I have found the rodworks fantastic in helping me select the right components. Might have to do a post on my next build.
Please do mate
Cheers Gra
Will do mate.



Remove these ads.

purple5ive
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 6648
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:59 pm
Has liked: 129 times
Likes received: 188 times

Re: Cork rod handle maintenance, repair and modification

Post by purple5ive » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Thats some great DIY stuff, well done.
been meaning to clean the cork handles on a few of my rods myself, but have decided to keep them as is. i was told metho is great for cleaning them.
also found that CF drag washers on my reels was tainting the grease into a black colour, so i have switched back to felt washers for now. could be the type of grease i was using, will have to investigate further.
Small Fish Specialist :-D :-D :-D

smokin_reels
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:23 pm
Has liked: 27 times
Likes received: 65 times

Re: Cork rod handle maintenance, repair and modification

Post by smokin_reels » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:59 pm

Your a magician Anth. :thumbsup:

Now go work on your tinny for spring 😂
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

User avatar
Sinsemilla
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1533
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:35 pm
Location: Northern Subs
Likes received: 89 times

Re: Cork rod handle maintenance, repair and modification

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 pm

rb85 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:54 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:23 pm
rb85 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:59 pm
Love your work Anth
Am building a few rods at the moment which are slow going with work getting in the way.

Is there any reason you went the Epoxy from the rodworks instead of 24hour araldyte it may be something you can source a little cheaper.
I have found the rodworks fantastic in helping me select the right components. Might have to do a post on my next build.
Thanks mate. Make sure you put up some pictures of your work. Keen as to see it.

Because i already had it from when i fixed a loose reel seat on my Daiwa presso trout rod and I've found it to be really strong and pretty flexible for how hard it goes. It doesn't crack or peel back off the blank when flexed
Will do mate.

Fair enough the epoxy required for guides with brands such as flowcoat won't crack or peel. The requirements for grips etc isn't as critical from what I have learnt.
You're right but I've found when you use a resin/epoxy that isn't flexible on grips/reel seats they sometimes come lose if they get twisted a bit too hard. Not that I've done much rod work but this stuff is magic and haven't had a problem with a grip or reel seat since.

User avatar
Sinsemilla
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1533
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:35 pm
Location: Northern Subs
Likes received: 89 times

Re: Cork rod handle maintenance, repair and modification

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:19 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm
Thats some great DIY stuff, well done.
been meaning to clean the cork handles on a few of my rods myself, but have decided to keep them as is. i was told metho is great for cleaning them.
also found that CF drag washers on my reels was tainting the grease into a black colour, so i have switched back to felt washers for now. could be the type of grease i was using, will have to investigate further.
I've never had that problem. Try using Cal's drag grease. even with felt washers it improves the drag. Also try cleaning the carbon washers with metho and drying them before applying the drag grease

User avatar
Sinsemilla
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1533
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:35 pm
Location: Northern Subs
Likes received: 89 times

Re: Cork rod handle maintenance, repair and modification

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:22 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:59 pm
Your a magician Anth. :thumbsup:

Now go work on your tinny for spring 😂
I can't get motivated with this weather! I did the reels and rods to avoid working on the tinny.. :D

I'll get onto the tinny this week 100%.. hopefully..



Remove these ads.

purple5ive
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 6648
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:59 pm
Has liked: 129 times
Likes received: 188 times

Re: Cork rod handle maintenance, repair and modification

Post by purple5ive » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:49 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:19 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm
Thats some great DIY stuff, well done.
been meaning to clean the cork handles on a few of my rods myself, but have decided to keep them as is. i was told metho is great for cleaning them.
also found that CF drag washers on my reels was tainting the grease into a black colour, so i have switched back to felt washers for now. could be the type of grease i was using, will have to investigate further.
I've never had that problem. Try using Cal's drag grease. even with felt washers it improves the drag. Also try cleaning the carbon washers with metho and drying them before applying the drag grease

the carbon washers on the luvias (2004 and 2506) scored and deformed the alloy backing plate on some big fish (snapper and mulloway), so i dont think ill use them on finesse reels again.
heard many a good thing about the cals, will have to give it a go.
Thanks!
Small Fish Specialist :-D :-D :-D

rb85
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 2855
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean
Has liked: 140 times
Likes received: 189 times

Re: Cork rod handle maintenance, repair and modification

Post by rb85 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:55 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 pm
rb85 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:54 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:23 pm
rb85 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:59 pm
Love your work Anth
Am building a few rods at the moment which are slow going with work getting in the way.

Is there any reason you went the Epoxy from the rodworks instead of 24hour araldyte it may be something you can source a little cheaper.
I have found the rodworks fantastic in helping me select the right components. Might have to do a post on my next build.
Thanks mate. Make sure you put up some pictures of your work. Keen as to see it.

Because i already had it from when i fixed a loose reel seat on my Daiwa presso trout rod and I've found it to be really strong and pretty flexible for how hard it goes. It doesn't crack or peel back off the blank when flexed
Will do mate.

Fair enough the epoxy required for guides with brands such as flowcoat won't crack or peel. The requirements for grips etc isn't as critical from what I have learnt.
You're right but I've found when you use a resin/epoxy that isn't flexible on grips/reel seats they sometimes come lose if they get twisted a bit too hard. Not that I've done much rod work but this stuff is magic and haven't had a problem with a grip or reel seat since.
Thats fair enough mate at the end of the day you have to do things the way you want too.

User avatar
Bugatti
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 1208
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:08 am
Has liked: 1641 times
Likes received: 388 times

Re: Cork rod handle maintenance, repair and modification

Post by Bugatti » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:25 pm

Anth, you are the Dude.

Best DYI thread I have read. Very detailed, very informative and easy to follow. I always wondered how the cork grips were looked after.

I second the point about resin/glues. I try and steer away from any that aren't flexible, for any application.

Now, I'm going to intentionally forget all of it , as I'm a hack , , , , and if my rods and reels know how the right way to be looked after is, they are going to mutiny :o_0: . They do get cared for but I know I should do better. I do service my reels and rods regularly (as best as I can) but like I said, I'm a bit of a hack.

The only rod I have that has a cork grip (and old style wooden butt) is a Frankensteined rod that is my fav Gar Rod. I clean the cork up with , , , , stop reading and turn away now , , , , with a soaped up Dish Scourer. I'm hoping that in my twilight years, while I'm on the Jetty fishing for Gar, the young'ns then are going to say , , , , "man, those old blokes have got some old gear" , , , , I think there may even be some scales from my first garfish on that rod still :-D

Gar Frankenstien Rod.PNG



Cheers, Bugs

User avatar
Sinsemilla
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1533
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:35 pm
Location: Northern Subs
Likes received: 89 times

Re: Cork rod handle maintenance, repair and modification

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:09 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:25 pm
Anth, you are the Dude.

Best DYI thread I have read. Very detailed, very informative and easy to follow. I always wondered how the cork grips were looked after.

I second the point about resin/glues. I try and steer away from any that aren't flexible, for any application.

Now, I'm going to intentionally forget all of it , as I'm a hack , , , , and if my rods and reels know how the right way to be looked after is, they are going to mutiny :o_0: . They do get cared for but I know I should do better. I do service my reels and rods regularly (as best as I can) but like I said, I'm a bit of a hack.

The only rod I have that has a cork grip (and old style wooden butt) is a Frankensteined rod that is my fav Gar Rod. I clean the cork up with , , , , stop reading and turn away now , , , , with a soaped up Dish Scourer. I'm hoping that in my twilight years, while I'm on the Jetty fishing for Gar, the young'ns then are going to say , , , , "man, those old blokes have got some old gear" , , , , I think there may even be some scales from my first garfish on that rod still :-D


Gar Frankenstien Rod.PNG




Cheers, Bugs
Cheers bugz. Nothing wrong with a dish sponge and some soapy water. Whatever gets the job done i say.

If you got the time give what I've done to mine a go. The grip will come up brand new! She'll be good for another 50 years ;)

Anth



Remove these ads.

Post Reply

Return to “Rod building or repair”