Rowville lakes

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Rowville lakes

Post by sasquatch972 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Jake420 wrote:Yeah maybe you were the guy across from me that packed up and left after seeing me catch 2 straight away Haha I was fishing the back side. Just the ul brown trout pattern.
Might go have a look down broville might be bit windy with the fly ther so might throw out some t tails see how that go's or if I'm free earlier n have time to get to emerald defently give that a shot I much rarther emerald than any other stocked lake around
i was the big guy wearing a ford jacket, was just walking around casting a metal vibe. The back side of the lake - do you mean near the drain? saw a heap of people on that platform and then a guy by himself with an orange rod near the drain?
was watching and talking to an old bloke fishing up the left side of the lake , he had a Darter (the tall thin fish hunting bird) sitting right next to him and he was patting it and talking to it! never seen a wild bird like that so tame...it was just sitting there loving it lol
might give the lake a go on saturday with some rapalas, i got plenty of brown trout ones and many other assorted, going to go there sometime soon maybe sunday too for some fly casting tuition at the fly club there.

asdl350

Post by asdl350 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Man rowville has been really dead lately... went there today and on monday looking for some rainbows but it was silent. Used lures, powerbait and got the burley going but still nothing. Had a feeling it wasn't stocked these holidays (water quality) and gave dpi a call which said the lakes were stocked on monday =/ walked about and seemed to me that noone is getting any fish or bites, also no activity along the surface zzz time to try emerald...

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:35 pm

yeah i went there monday after work for a cast.... no signs of anything no activity or anything... maybe the trout swam out to the middle and died? lol

it could also be worth trying lillydale they got 800 rainbows and also 800 brown trout , maybe karkarook too that got 1000 rainbows
its a pitty the small amount of fish they put into these lakes though and its usually only rainbow trout... aparently there is a small amount of brown trout in karkarook from when they were stocking it years ago.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Casting tonight from 640 until dark. I can see them jumping as well as some carp swirls, not so much as a touch on tassie devils, soft plastics or celtas.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:59 pm

been getting a few reddies here, also saw a few attacking schools of bait/baby fish about 1cm long, enough to bubble the water abit...only tiny reddies though around 10cm..
still atleast its starting to get abit more active....all reddies taken on HB lures...

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:36 pm

Using course techniques i caught about 30 fish in this lake one day. Trout jumping, reddies, roach etc.

One of the locals reckons the trout die each year due to High water temp so I havent spent a lot of time there lately. Would be very interested to hear what someone with more knowledge than me thinks about that statement

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Scraglor wrote:.........................................................................................................................................
One of the locals reckons the trout die each year due to High water temp so I havent spent a lot of time there lately. Would be very interested to hear what someone with more knowledge than me thinks about that statement
I'm not sure what the lake is like but if it is shallow, I have no doubt the trout may struggle to survive a hot summer. Some people say that they release stocked trout to catch again another day. Honestly, you may as well keep some as they may not survive anyway.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Thanks Jim, I have released all my trout there as they havent been of a significant size, upsetting to think they let them boil to death tho, as they are fantastic fun to catch

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Rod Bender wrote:
Scraglor wrote:.........................................................................................................................................
I'm not sure what the lake is like but if it is shallow, I have no doubt the trout may struggle to survive a hot summer. Some people say that they release stocked trout to catch again another day. Honestly, you may as well keep some as they may not survive anyway.
cheers
Jim
I have a friend who stocked their swimming pool with trout fingerlings and they lasted through 3 summers.

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Scraglor wrote:Using course techniques i caught about 30 fish in this lake one day. Trout jumping, reddies, roach etc.

That's true , a lot (not all always) of the uncaught stocked trout do die, or get eaten by the birds in the smaller stocked lakes.
Their water levels either drop to where the water is too warm , not enough oxygen in the water , becomes stagnant and end up dirty water.
The bigger major premier stocked lakes don't suffer as bad , as they are huge lakes and have plenty of deep spots in the middle of the lakes during warmer seasons, and can hold their oxygen levels throughout the seasons ... etc.

Cheers , Rick.
Last edited by rixter on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Return to “Family Fishing Lakes”