Rowville lakes

User avatar
sasquatch972
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Wantirna South

Rowville lakes

Postby sasquatch972 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:40 pm

thought i was start a thread on rowville lakes under family fishing lakes
been going down there abit lately and well havent caught a thing and havent heard anyone catch anything either.....see plenty of fish jumping and surface activity though
also heard from the DPI that it will be stocked early this week for the school holidays so hope it will fire up for abit atleast...
seen some things down there the last two weeks though, some greeny algae (blue/green Algae??) that got blown across the lake to the road side by the wind last week and also a bunch of dead fish near the bank near the playground, saw about 8 all the same type of fish... i picked one out with a stick to get a photo of it to see if anyone knows what fish it is and this one had a small celta in its mouth so id be right to assume someone has dumped these fish here....ive attached a couple of photos, one with the algae and one of the fish...can someone tell me what the fish is? and they couldnt have been caught in that lake could have they?
Attachments
Green crap.jpg
this is a photo from last week, was blown to the side by the wind...
Random.jpg
some fish dumped at rowville lakes...



Remove these ads.

User avatar
GTSHoon
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1878
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:36 pm
Location: Templestowe

Re: Rowville lakes

Postby GTSHoon » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:51 pm

It looks like a barra?????? What the
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

User avatar
sasquatch972
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Wantirna South

Re: Rowville lakes

Postby sasquatch972 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:52 pm

GTSHoon wrote:It looks like a barra?????? What the


THATS WHAT I THOUGHT???? but thought i was out of my mind....theres about 8-10 of them all scattered around there... all around 30-40cm...

User avatar
Rod Bender
Rank: Kingfish
Rank: Kingfish
Posts: 5283
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: Shepparton

Re: Rowville lakes

Postby Rod Bender » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:12 am

sasquatch972 wrote:
GTSHoon wrote:It looks like a barra?????? What the


THATS WHAT I THOUGHT???? but thought i was out of my mind....theres about 8-10 of them all scattered around there... all around 30-40cm...

Don't worry about it. We are all losing our minds by the looks of it! I wonder if someone had them as pets (in a very large aquarium!!), then foolishly decided to release them in the lake when they out grew their aquarium! Obviously they wouldn't survive to long and have just keeled over!

I once saw a decaying fish on the banks of the Goulburn here in Shepp. I assumed it was a carp until I got closer to it. It was a Snapper! Someone must have had it, then decided they didn't want to eat it then dumped it! Either that or some idiot trying to start rumours!
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

User avatar
Master-pro
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:31 pm
Location: Casey

Re: Rowville lakes

Postby Master-pro » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:20 am

Lol jim, messiah found a 4 kg snapper at a local lake while fishing a while ago! Some people are so stupid... Who would take barra, probably from there fish tank and release them into a lake where the chances of survival are 0%
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

Daisymuffin
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Re: Rowville lakes

Postby Daisymuffin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:21 am

why wouldn't barramundi survive? is it because of the lack of natural prey? or the climate?



Remove these ads.

User avatar
Messiah
Rank: Australian Salmon
Rank: Australian Salmon
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Rowville lakes

Postby Messiah » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:23 am

Rod Bender wrote:
sasquatch972 wrote:
GTSHoon wrote:It looks like a barra?????? What the


THATS WHAT I THOUGHT???? but thought i was out of my mind....theres about 8-10 of them all scattered around there... all around 30-40cm...

Don't worry about it. We are all losing our minds by the looks of it! I wonder if someone had them as pets (in a very large aquarium!!), then foolishly decided to release them in the lake when they out grew their aquarium! Obviously they wouldn't survive to long and have just keeled over!

I once saw a decaying fish on the banks of the Goulburn here in Shepp. I assumed it was a carp until I got closer to it. It was a Snapper! Someone must have had it, then decided they didn't want to eat it then dumped it! Either that or some idiot trying to start rumours!
thanks
Jim


Had the exact same thing in a little lake in Berwick, found a monster snapper dead.
Would have been between 5-8kg
Crazy
Last edited by Messiah on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Master-pro
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:31 pm
Location: Casey

Re: Rowville lakes

Postby Master-pro » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:26 am

Daisymuffin wrote:why wouldn't barramundi survive? is it because of the lack of natural prey? or the climate?

Climate, I'm sure the bars would hoover up all the trout reddies and cray fish
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

User avatar
ducky
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 3765
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Re: Rowville lakes

Postby ducky » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:34 am

A friend of mine pulled a barra out of the Yarra in a dpi survey net. Haha. They assumed it was aquarium stock too. But still a funny story.

User avatar
sasquatch972
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Wantirna South

Re: Rowville lakes

Postby sasquatch972 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:31 am

this one had a small celta in its mouth when i got it out of the water lol, there is about another 8 of them in the water slightly to the right of the playground.
at first when i saw them from a distance i thought that maybe they were some trout that had died but then moved it with a stick and noticed they were different
thought they looked like barra but thought why would they be here?? ive seen pilchards dumped in there before but not larger fish lol



Remove these ads.


Return to “Family Fishing Lakes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest