Devilbend reservoir

Jake420

Re: Devilbend reservoir

Post by Jake420 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:24 pm

Yeah from 1st front platform to the 2nd just in the start of quarry it does save so much walking .. I never fish the front so I've always gone down the top track
The Dirty Oar

Simo

Post by Simo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:21 am

Went down a couple weeks ago and managed a brown at the quarry. Was a nice size with a hook jaw but wasn't in very good condition, only had a few small water beatles in stomach. First trout I've managed to get here but been trying since it opened regularly as I live close. Used to see big healthy ones jumping & in shallows but not for a while now. Fisheries were also stocking small rainbows that day, don't know how many, saw the truck and schools of tiddlers chasing lure but they were small and lots of cormorants were around.

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:17 pm

yeah DPI just told me it was stocked recently, they said with browns and rainbows, hope the cormorants didnt get any......................

pwalnuts

Post by pwalnuts » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 am

Went down yesterday and fished the quarry area for a bit with no result. Spoke to a fisheries guy and he said around the corner on the eastern shore had been fishing well. Headed around there and managed 1 small Redfin on a pink three inch SP grub before it got too dark to see where i was casting (to avoid the weed patches). Was the first thing I've caught on any type of SP though so that was cool.

On the way out I went back to the quarry area and there were some decent sized trout rising, tried various lures and plastics but they didn't want to know.
Last edited by pwalnuts on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:52 am

pwalnuts wrote:Went down yesterday and fished the quarry area for a bit with no result. Spoke to a fisheries guy and he said around the corner on the eastern shore had been fishing well. Headed around there and managed 1 small Redfin on a pink three inch SP grub before it got too dark to see where i was casting(to avoid the weed patches). Was the first thing I've caught on any type of SP though so that was cool.

On the way out I went back to the quarry area and there were some decent sized trout rising, tried various lures and plastics but they didn't want to know.
nice work on the redfin mate, pitty it was only one but thats better than me!!! the rising trout probably would have gone for flys

pwalnuts

Post by pwalnuts » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:10 am

Yeah it was pretty much pitch dark by that stage and they were definitely feeding on the surface.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:22 pm

I went down there at mid day today and didn't get a sniff, still a lot of weed in casting range smh

The more I go, the more I think of a night session with bait, could be somne nice trout sneak up in the shallows after dark.

pwalnuts

Post by pwalnuts » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 pm

I didn't bother trying to get past the weed, just fished the shallows between the weed and shore. Waders are definitely needed to get past the weed line, even then I think you might struggle.

Worth a try Brett, let us know how you go. That place owes me a few. :(

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:59 pm

i bought a set of waders just to go fishing there lol, are there any lakes around that are producing really well? ive been to lilydale,rowville,karkarook and havent had much luck.....devilbend is one next on the list as i would prefer to get a brown trout....and also now i cannot fish streams or rivers for trout atm due to the closed season...
is it worth just using bait rods off the end of the platform at devilbend?

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:48 pm

looking at giving devilbend a go tomorrow, going to give the flyrod a shot with some new RIO line and a few new flys.....and try and use some lures or SP's in less weedy areas...
hope it doesnt rain too much..

Return to “Family Fishing Lakes”