Rowville lake report 06.07.2014

tbourke45

Rowville lake report 06.07.2014

Post by tbourke45 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:33 pm

Hey all,

Took my rods out for a couple of hours at rowville lake today (4-6pm) just after some rain.
Everycast with in 5 mins had small bites. (Using Berkley Gulp Floating Eggs I think they are) and powerbait. They would keep coming back too :-).
The powerbait had no signs of bites so I think they likes the smell of the gulp eggs. I didn't strike first hit but after about 20mins nothing, so I casted with fresh bait and BAM!! (I think they loved the smell of fresh gulp eggs) another bite but couldn't hook them. This was happening the whole 2 hours :-)
Just so you know the locals have told me that a couple of guys have caught a few trout in recent weeks :-)

Could they have liked the smell and a nibble and them decided to find something else?
Or any tips on how to hook them up?

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Re: Rowville lake report 06.07.2014

Post by eddyt » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:22 pm

Use smaller hooks. First time I ever fished for trout I thought you should use big hooks because they have a huge mouth, but then this guy told me to go small. I didn't believe him at first but figured it can't hurt to try, and sure enough, it worked.

Try size #12 hooks, like the ones you use for garfish, but not long shank. You'll be amazed at how you can catch 50cm+ monsters even with these tiny hooks.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:51 pm

Yeah, I've hooked keeper rainbows in rowville lakes on sz 18 maggot hooks. Ppl can't believe it when I show them

Speedbird13

Post by Speedbird13 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:26 am

Where abouts you guys casting?

rafei1

Post by rafei1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:22 am

I tried Rowville yesterday using dough, and corn while flicking plastic and lures with my other rod, no nibbles, only one fish came too close to the lure then turned away. It was quite windy yesterday wat are the ideal conditions, I just like to catch and release trout mainly as I normally go fishing salt water, I only had a bout 5 sessions in freshwater but thought id try the local lake. I tried karkarook last Thursday but no action there at all.
Best so far: 47cm aus salmon, 41cm mullet, 40cm king George whiting , 38cm Bream, 35cm flathead, 33 cm pinky, squid 20cm. 2 sting rays caught caught, 1 took a rod as a souvenir. Need to catch snapper... :fish11:

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:15 pm

I was there on Sunday as well, an hour before the sun set, took my daughter there as she was bored at home.

Nary a bite. I guess my hook size musta been too big. was using berkley bait, worms, and bread dough..
daughter was on spinners ..
Abuthen

tbourke45

Post by tbourke45 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:24 pm

Locals have told me to try maggots. I've never had success with lures.

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:12 am

ive always found trout better on lures....caught 20 odd (all released) at karkarook one day. got a few at Rowville with Tassie devils too, and some redfin. trout usually only go bait if they are starving, you can get them to hit a lure even if they aren't hungry, for territorial reasons...

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:56 am

I am no trout expert but I am not sure I would agree with that.

I will often fish one bait and one lure outfit and I have seen a few followers of the lures but no takers.

But at the same time they will often take the bait.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:23 am

tbourke45 wrote:............................................................................................
Could they have liked the smell and a nibble and them decided to find something else?
Or any tips on how to hook them up?
Try holding your rod if you weren't. In the good old days when I was motivated, I would hold one of my rods. The slightest bite would scare the crap out of me and the reflex action would hook the fish! Also try the other suggestions above, especially the small hook size.
As for the lures vs bait debate, I think you have to be flexible! The majority of fishing I do for redfin and trout is with lures. If the water is dirty, I will not even bother casting a lure. When I say dirty, I mean dirty! The rivers and channels here can get to the point where you can not see below the surface.
Also, I'm guessing that if you are chasing newly stocked fish, their choice of food may be influenced by what they are used to eating...something in 'pellet' form. In a nutshell, try everything that may suit the conditions.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Return to “Family Fishing Lakes”