Rowville lake report 06.07.2014

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Rowville lake report 06.07.2014

Post by sasquatch972 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:03 pm

frozenpod wrote:I am no trout expert but I am not sure I would agree with that.

I will often fish one bait and one lure outfit and I have seen a few followers of the lures but no takers.

But at the same time they will often take the bait.
well I was using rapala CD-3's, CD-5's and at first it was pretty much every cast id hook a fish, had to depress the barbs, and even go single hooks to allow for a better release, lost a lot more that way but it was great. and every time I go I see baitos getting maybe 3-4 fish in the time ive got plenty. used to fish bait a lot for little to no success..

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:46 am

How many times have you been able to achieve those results.

Which location?

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:39 pm

frozenpod wrote:How many times have you been able to achieve those results.

Which location?
I will say ive had much better luck at karkarook, but its a much better lake in general compared to Rowville tbh. atleast 10 times ive been there and caught around the 10 trout mark, always returned to the water...I never keep trout. Rowville lakes whenever I have been fishing there, its always the people using lures having the better luck, but ive never had the same amounts as karkarook.. but ive spent countless doughnut sessions down at Rowville using bait compared to 50/50 with lures, hardbody bibbed lures to be honest though, still yet to have much luck on SP's. Ive found since I switched to mainly fishing lures my catch rate has gone up heaps, especially with trout.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:54 am

I think I have caught about 10 trout total from 30 or so trips to Rowville lakes.

Not exactly a high success rate and the bulk have been caught on bait whilst fishing lures and bait side by side.

I have mostly used HB and Tassi devils for lures and power bait some sort of cube and artificial trout eggs for bait.

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:13 pm

frozenpod wrote:I think I have caught about 10 trout total from 30 or so trips to Rowville lakes.

Not exactly a high success rate and the bulk have been caught on bait whilst fishing lures and bait side by side.

I have mostly used HB and Tassi devils for lures and power bait some sort of cube and artificial trout eggs for bait.
give karkarook lake a go if you haven't been there yet, its way better for trout and redfin.. id also imagine flys would do well as ive often seen many trout rising @ karkarook.

dazwah

Post by dazwah » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:43 pm

The lure vs bait thing comes more down to the amount of water covered. Cover more water and more likely to catch a fish.

stef_2802

Post by stef_2802 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:33 am

Karkarook lake is a lot better water quality etc then Rowville. I live in Rowville been there a few times with my partner and only caught a few little reddies. Went to Karkarook last weekend and my partner got a rainbow just before dark and I got a baby reddie at night both using SPs

nafa

Post by nafa » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:23 am

Rod Bender wrote:
tbourke45 wrote:............................................................................................
Could they have liked the smell and a nibble and them decided to find something else?
Or any tips on how to hook them up?
Try holding your rod if you weren't. In the good old days when I was motivated, I would hold one of my rods. The slightest bite would scare the crap out of me and the reflex action would hook the fish! Also try the other suggestions above, especially the small hook size.
As for the lures vs bait debate, I think you have to be flexible! The majority of fishing I do for redfin and trout is with lures. If the water is dirty, I will not even bother casting a lure. When I say dirty, I mean dirty! The rivers and channels here can get to the point where you can not see below the surface.
Also, I'm guessing that if you are chasing newly stocked fish, their choice of food may be influenced by what they are used to eating...something in 'pellet' form. In a nutshell, try everything that may suit the conditions.
cheers
Jim
Jim your line about having the crap scared out of you and hooking the fish made me laugh. Same thing still happens to me today, Regards Al.

MikeOxhuge

Post by MikeOxhuge » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:19 pm

Where is the best places to fish around Rowville lakes? Never been there (although I worked in Rowville 2 streets over form the lake for 4.5 years!)

I'd love to take my daughter out there one nice weekend so she can try her new fishing rod out.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:14 pm

MikeOxhuge wrote:Where is the best places to fish around Rowville lakes? Never been there (although I worked in Rowville 2 streets over form the lake for 4.5 years!)

I'd love to take my daughter out there one nice weekend so she can try her new fishing rod out.
I usually go to the main lake on your right as you drive in. There is a spot where there used to be a car park (I think there is a playground there now) and there is a nice spot you can set up a chair etc. I havent been there in years tho, so it might have changed.

Return to “Family Fishing Lakes”