Murray cod caught on fly

malleestump

Murray cod caught on fly

Post by malleestump » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:53 am

Spare a thought for pending Australian record holder,Geelong resident Ross Vert and his fishing partner Steve Bamforth, who were busy casting the banks of the Loddon River last month at 2am on a Saturday morning, between Bridgewater and Laanecoorie township.It wasn't the first cod that has mistaken one of Ross's hand crafted floating Koas cod flys for a more tasty offering
,with hundreds of smaller cod successfully landed since Ross's addiction to chasing cod on fly over the past 5 years. Ross regularly fishes the Loddon, being the closest productive cod water to Geelong as well as travelling further afield to the Murrumbidgee and Murray when time permits."Winter is an ideal time to chase cod on the surface,"Ross said."I'd fished this particular snag before on a previous trip and had a hit so I knew it was worthperserving around this part of the river.Ross's106cm (estimated at 30 kegs) cod took a large white fly chosen because of its visual appeal and the silhouette it casts in low light conditions.Ross is currently waiting for official notification from ANSA on acceptance of his record catch of a Murray cod on a fly.Visit Koas Cod Flys Facebook page to view more of Ross's recent successes and his range of flys suitable for native freshwater fish.Source Bendigo weekly author nick Atyeo

will see if I can upload the pic of the fish in the paper soon. Gus
If you are looking for the person to change your life.look in the mirror .Cheers gus

Rod Bender

Re: Murray cod caught on fly

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:26 am

It takes a lot of patience to try a technique like this! An attribute I do not have! I have a lot of admiration for people who do pursue these alternative methods!
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

malleestump

Post by malleestump » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:51 pm

It beggars belief how such a large fish was landed on a fly hook and didn't straighten or break it.I wonder want size shank he was using. gus
If you are looking for the person to change your life.look in the mirror .Cheers gus

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:26 pm

That sure is a great effort. Thanks for sharing malleestump :thumbsup:

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:55 pm

What a catch :thumbsup: :thumbsup: bet that got his heart rate going for a while.

shaynebennett

Post by shaynebennett » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:45 pm

Awesome
If only I could fish more

rixter

Post by rixter » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:06 pm

Awesome stuff , I believe it . I've hooked a carp close to that size on light gear, not a fly rod , but light gear and using a hook just as small as used with a fly/fly rod setup. Managed to land the carp with a bent hook, but landed it.
Congrats , Nice catch ! , awesome actually. :D
Cheers , Rick
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

BrynnF

Post by BrynnF » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:25 am

malleestump wrote:It beggars belief how such a large fish was landed on a fly hook and didn't straighten or break it.I wonder want size shank he was using. gus
For cod on fly most people use about a 6/0 7/0 hook. I think most fish would have trouble straightening that ;)

Brynn

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”