Getting started in fly fishing.

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Getting started in fly fishing.

Post by sasquatch972 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:22 pm

yeah id be talking with your uncle, maybe he can take you fly fishing and show you the ropes abit.
im learning myself too but i feel im quite getting the hang of it now, just need to sort out what flys to buy now..i am primarily doing freshwater fly fishing for trout though so its pretty easy to know what flies to get

rainbash

Post by rainbash » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:33 am

yea, problem is he is in melbourne and im in albury so 3 hours away, andi dont get many weekends off due to work.

ill primarily be goin gtrout fishing myself given the mitta river is an hour away (well relatively close) :)

bugeater
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bugeater » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:10 pm

A leader is a piece of line that tapers down from thick to thin. Usually about 9 foot, but sometimes longer or shorter. It's less visible to the fish than the big fat opaque fly line, plus it helps the fly turn over due to the taper. It can be made of lengths of tippet tied together that go from fat to thin, but it's easier to just buy a tapered leader.

Tippet is just line you tie to the end of the leader. It gives the leader a bit more length, plus it means you can keep changing flies without shortening your leader. Also, if you get wind knots (which seem to mostly occur close to the fly), you can just cut it off and tie on a new piece. Use a double or triple surgeons knot to tie the tippet to the leader.

Tippet can also be used to set up a two fly rig. I'll often use a big dry fly and tie a length of tippet to its hook. Then tie a nymph to this. I've found this quite good in lakes or more gentle streams. It means the fish could go for the underwater nymph or the floating dry fly. If a fish takes the nymph, the dry will dip underwater, when you strike. You'll know if a fish takes the dry :)

BTW, the trout season ends after this weekend, so you won't be able to fish the Mitta for a couple of months anyway. If I can handle the cold, I'll be hitting the lakes.

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:54 pm

yeah by midnight of the 10th you cannot fish for trout in any rivers or streams.
i am going to be practicing my fly fishing in lakes like karkarook,rowville lakes and im going to try devilbend resivoir... i have the next week off work for this haha.
i have bought a fair amount of dry flys from a few online stores, one trout place in Tasmania and im also looking at troutflies.com.au plus the small amount ive already got, i also have some nymphs too.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:05 pm

I have at least two thousand flies, willing to sell the whole lot at the bargain :a_goodjob: price of three thousand, which equals a $1.50 per fly.

Trying beating that bargain. :a_goodjob:

rainbash

Post by rainbash » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:36 am

hehe, if i had that much i would probably buy all of them, but i dont :( well, ive probably set up my fly rod wrong then, but i guess its a learning curve, i havnt had a chnace to go out and try my fly rod yet, ill be happy to go down to lake hume and just practice my casting.

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:20 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:I have at least two thousand flies, willing to sell the whole lot at the bargain :a_goodjob: price of three thousand, which equals a $1.50 per fly.

Trying beating that bargain. :a_goodjob:
haha well ive only got about 20 flys in total at the moment, got about another 50 coming in the mail soon lol.

maybe in about 5 years ill have a similar amount....and hopefully have caught a few fish on fly by then! :icon_lolz:

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:54 pm

is the fly line you get from BCF anygood? i think the brand is Snowbee.

bugeater
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bugeater » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:20 pm

No idea about snowbee. But probably not much better than what comes in a combo.

There is a bloke in Perth that sells fly line for okay prices (http://www.flyworld.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I've bought a couple from him and his shop is pretty well stocked. He also has a lot of trout flies, but I don't think they are on his website (I was in Perth last week and visited his shop).

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:57 pm

hmm yeah snowbee seems to be about $79 not much better than what i can get Scientific Anglers for.... i remember u saying that was a good brand... is it worth re lining the reel i got with the Pflueger combo or would i be better off finding another reel and re lining that?
i gave casting a shot at karkarook today, of course i didnt catch anything (got a bloody good bite with some SP's though!!!!!...but lost the fish!) but i could get the fly out probably a good 10m pretty much every time in the same spot, only issue i had was that sometimes id snag the grass or some reeds.
i have a whole week off work next week which im hoping to head down to Devilbend reservoir some time during the week targeting brown and rainbow trout, hope to be able to cast well enough with a fly by then!

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”