Getting started in fly fishing.

Rod Bender

Re: Getting started in fly fishing.

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:08 pm

I've had a look at the website for the local fly club. With my spasmodic work roster I don't think I would commit to a club at this point. Not being able to dedicate myself to attending all meetings just doesn't work for me.

Pictured below is one of the channels I would intend on practicing the technique of fly fishing on the resident carp (after I get a lesson or two)! I hope to be organised by this summer. There will also be water in the channel when I fish it as opposed to when this pic was taken. :-D The channels are easily accessible and one can fish from either side, depending on the wind. Also, there is good clearance behind you. The average size of the carp I see 'mooching' around the surface would be around the 2 - 3 pound mark. There will also be larger models in there.

I will discuss the following question with the person I get lessons from, but what size / weight fly rod would one need for these conditions? I would also hope the same rod could be used on trout streams when I venture that way when I am a bit more competent. Also, do you get different size fly reels for different conditions or reels that match particular fly rod weights?
thanks in advance
Jim
Attachments
empty channel s.jpg
empty channel s.jpg (261.75 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Jim, I did a course many years ago with a well known club in Albury, when I was living in Wangaratta ( think it was Greenwell?) It was enjoyable but I had a boat then and never went on with it. I suggest your local club is best place to start to get a feel for it BEFORE you spend any money. People who do training courses generally provide the gear to teach you and if you do take a shine to it you can then take next steps. It can be hard work walking the banks and on uneven rock strewn river beds with a current flowing. One other point, I doubt about Carp taking Fly, would be interested in hearing from someone on how practical this would be.
All the best in your endeavours, it can't be wasted if it's fishing.
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:29 pm

ive been thinking about going to the yarra fly fishing club on lilydale lake to have some casting lessons with them, they have a 2 hour casting tuition thing on at 10am sunday mornings

@Blue, carp are actually known to take flys, theres a whole range of carp flies but i think they are usually based on bits of bread not bugs.

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:17 pm

sasquatch972 wrote: @Blue, carp are actually known to take flys, theres a whole range of carp flies but i think they are usually based on bits of bread not bugs.
Throwing bread/corn into the water and using a fly that imitates one of those is one of the most efficient and fun ways of catching carp.
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:23 pm

TrevKing wrote:
sasquatch972 wrote: @Blue, carp are actually known to take flys, theres a whole range of carp flies but i think they are usually based on bits of bread not bugs.
Throwing bread/corn into the water and using a fly that imitates one of those is one of the most efficient and fun ways of catching carp.
exactly, never done it myself but will probably give it a try sometime.

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Thanks boys, we learn something all the time. Never having bothered to target Carp this would never occur to me. Don't think it would ever make me chase them tho.
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Blue wrote:Thanks boys, we learn something all the time. Never having bothered to target Carp this would never occur to me. Don't think it would ever make me chase them tho.
yeah i prefer bait fishing when going for carp but with them being so plentiful i guess id give the flyrod a go, but still gotta learn how to fly cast properly first.
More wanting to learn fly fishing tecniques for Trout.

yogibearrrr

Post by yogibearrrr » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:25 am

sasquatch972 wrote:ive been thinking about going to the yarra fly fishing club on lilydale lake to have some casting lessons with them, they have a 2 hour casting tuition thing on at 10am sunday mornings

@Blue, carp are actually known to take flys, theres a whole range of carp flies but i think they are usually based on bits of bread not bugs.
I went there a few weeks ago after having a fly rod for about 2 weeks (they can supply a rod to practice with if you dont have one) and after 1 lesson it made a huge difference to my casts, after that i joined the next chance i had lol. only had a few lessons there but would recommend it :) perfect time to learn just before the season starts too.

BrynnF

Post by BrynnF » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:51 pm

Here is a list of all the clubs in australia.http://www.flylife.com.au/info/flyclubs/default.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Most clubs will have a couple of certified fly casting instructors but even someone who knows the basics could teach you.
I cast with a lot of guys from NSFFC, red tag club, Sunshine club, southern club, ballast club and yarra valley fly fishers. All have some very good casters. Southern Fly fishing club and NSFFC have a casting pool each which both have lights so you can cast at night. NSFFC meet up every thursday night and Southern meet up every Wednesday night (I think). Red tag have a casting pool as well but no light and some of the other clubs cast in ponds. Most clubs have a monthly trip for members and if you are new they are a good way to learn how to fly fish without spending hundreds on a few hour course.
Carp are a very good species to chase in the middle of summer because most rivers and streams the water will be low and hot and you will find it very difficult to find trout but the carp will be in the warm shallow waters and perfect for sight fishing. flies that work with this tactic are mainly wooly buggers. i don't think a 100lb carp would be spooling someone with a 16wt fly rod and 600m of backing on hardy reel which has 32lb of drag (an outfit large enough to pull in the biggest of marlin)!!
Brynn

MadMullet

Post by MadMullet » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:41 pm

hmmmm 32 lb of drag....i don't get that out of my hayden p5 :)
in vino veritas ....make mine a double

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”