Getting started in fly fishing.

Bobby

Re: Getting started in fly fishing.

Post by Bobby » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:45 pm

What is a dry fly and a wet fly. is a dry fly one sprayed with something like silicon? I'm going to give fly fishing a go. Got some rods from my dad.Thaks. Like the idea of prctising with the carp.

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:47 pm

Bobby wrote:What is a dry fly and a wet fly. is a dry fly one sprayed with something like silicon? I'm going to give fly fishing a go. Got some rods from my dad.Thaks. Like the idea of prctising with the carp.
dry fly sits on top of the water, dry sinks, pretty much the basic idea
cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

BrynnF

Post by BrynnF » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Bobby wrote:What is a dry fly and a wet fly. is a dry fly one sprayed with something like silicon? I'm going to give fly fishing a go. Got some rods from my dad.Thaks. Like the idea of prctising with the carp.
Dry flies are flies that are tied to float on the surface and imitate a adult mayfly, adult caddis terrestrial insects ect. you need to use floatant to make most float which can be a gel of a spray. I find loon floating gel best. Apply it just before you start to fish.
Wet flies are flies that are made to be presented under water. These imitate nymphs, midges, baitfish ect.
I would mainly use a dry fly like a red tag with a dropper of about 4ft with a beadhead nymph tied off the bend of the dry fly hook.
Good luck.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 pm

as stated above a dry fly is tied to sit on the surface of the water. while a wet is designed to be fished in or just under the surface of the water but both do imitate mayflies etc. nymphs are represented by nymph flies (go figure) and bait fish by lures.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Thanks very much. my dad gave me a can of Dry Fly Aero Spray which I think I can use. Next weekend I think Ill start.

BrynnF

Post by BrynnF » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi Guys,
For all you who are looking to start fly fishing or even improve your skills I have started giving fly casting lessons.
I am the current Australian Fly Casting Champion (the youngest to ever win it) and have a equal Australian Fly Casting record of a perfect 200 in accuracy which only 4 other people have scored last one before mine being about 10 years ago.
I have already taught a couple of people and have had very good feedback from them on my teaching ability and their casting has improved greatly.
For more info and pricing PM or email me at brynntrout@gmail.com.
Thanks
Brynn
Ps. The money I earn does not go towards junk but instead gear for my fly casting/fishing especially fly lines which I go through very quickly because of the amount of practise I do.

sirsquidalot
Has liked: 1 time

Post by sirsquidalot » Wed May 16, 2018 11:47 am

BrynnF wrote:Hi Guys,
For all you who are looking to start fly fishing or even improve your skills I have started giving fly casting lessons.
I am the current Australian Fly Casting Champion (the youngest to ever win it) and have a equal Australian Fly Casting record of a perfect 200 in accuracy which only 4 other people have scored last one before mine being about 10 years ago.
I have already taught a couple of people and have had very good feedback from them on my teaching ability and their casting has improved greatly.
For more info and pricing PM or email me at brynntrout@gmail.com.
Thanks
Brynn
Ps. The money I earn does not go towards junk but instead gear for my fly casting/fishing especially fly lines which I go through very quickly because of the amount of practise I do.
might hit you up about this

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed May 16, 2018 11:50 am

That post is from 4 years ago.

You want to try something ridiculous, put a 1.5 squid jig on the end of a fly rod and go squidding.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

sirsquidalot
Has liked: 1 time

Post by sirsquidalot » Wed May 16, 2018 3:07 pm

DougieK wrote:That post is from 4 years ago.

You want to try something ridiculous, put a 1.5 squid jig on the end of a fly rod and go squidding.
**** didn't read the date. I usually do ridiculous things but usually unintentionally :thumbsup:

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”