Tips for fishing small creeks

Marlinman

Re: Tips for fishing small creeks

Post by Marlinman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Great read guys, I too am starting to fish small streams and am taking aboard all this advice so many thanks! If I can offer any tips from my limited experience it would be don’t be put off by the faster flowing water, I have found fish don’t have too much time to think and study a fly in faster water as they don’t want to miss out on a possible meal. Faster water near a possible lie seems to be consistent for me.

Cheers

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Yep, especially during the warmer weather. The trout will want to be near the coolest well oxygenated water they can find.

FlynnFisherman

Post by FlynnFisherman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:18 pm

UPDATE: Cheers for all the advice! I went down to the same creek and again no luck :( tried to put as much of the advice in to practice as i could but the trip was cut short by a lack of tippet (my bad) and went home because I'd already cut off the fly before I realised i wasn't able to put another on. This time i went from about 5:00pm to 6:30pm and to my surprise saw no fish (or insects on the water). I do think this is a very good creek but i was wondering if anyone knows of any other trout streams in the area (I'm based in Ballarat so anything within an hour and a half would be preferable)?

Cheers,

:water:

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”